It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Smaller confluences
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 am 

Inspired by Q's new ravnica commands. I thought a ten card cycle with four modes each is too much to remember (plus design space!), so I designed these that have only two modes each.

Orzhov Dilemma - :1::w::b:
Sorcery
Choose two. You may choose the same mode more than once.
- You gain 4 life.
- Target opponent discards a card.

Golgari Dilemma - :2::b::g:
Sorcery
- Target creature gets -2/-2 until end of turn.
- Return target permanent card from your graveyard to your hand.

Simic Dilemma - :2::g::u:
Sorcery
- Create a 0/6 green Plant Wall creature token with defender.
- Create a 2/2 blue Bird creature token with flying.

Izzet Dilemma - :1::u::r:
Sorcery
- Return target creature to its owner's hand.
- ~ deals 2 damage to target player or planeswalker.

Boros Dilemma - :1::r::w:
Sorcery
- Up to two target creatures can't block this turn.
- Creatures you control get +1/+1 until end of turn.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Smaller confluences
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:19 am 

Doesn't feel like much of a dilemma if I get literally all the choices. Outside of naming conventions, the idea of mini-confluences isn't bad. I think that some of these could be a bit better, but that's neither here nor there. Here's my card-by-card thoughts:

Orzhov Dilemma; Unless it's a common (which none of these should be), I can't ever see someone using the gain 4 life portion, making this, effectively, just Mind Rot. I think the discard version should be on a Dimir one, alongside drawing a card, making this card a combination of Consult the Necrosages, Mind Rot, Divination, and Unhinge. An Orzhov one should likely focus on killing a creature or life loss/gain (maybe the creature kill could be more creature-delaying, or "until your next turn, if a creature would deal damage to you, destroy it").

Golgari Dilemma; Not shrink and/or grow? Returning permanents from your graveyard to hand is pretty good though, and this card does a lot of different things that are still Golgari, so I still like it. Maybe +1/+1 counters somehow, depending on the set it's in, but Golgari usually use those too.

Simic Dilemma; This is my least favourite. 0/6 only works if the set has something like Evolve. 2/2 flyers for Simic should be Drakes, no? I think this card needs to do something other than making two creatures, Getting 4/4 of flying for 4 mana seems real good, and the choice for it to be 2/2 flying and 0/6 ground control is seriously strong in Limited.

Izzet Dilemma; Cool, but a bit OP. Also, removal or removal isn't a good thing for these cards. Would be nice to see one of the abilities caring about spells somehow, like maybe "The next time you cast a spell this turn, copy it. You may choose new targets for the copy." and up the cost.

Boros Dilemma; Really like this one too. Buffing your team, or preventing people from blocking, feels very aggro and Boros. I like that it can do an impression of either Trumpet Blast or Panic Attack (+1).

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:35 am 

You could use the lifegain on Orzhov if the opponent has less than two cards in hand or if you need to stabilize. I could make it 5 life. These are probably uncommons.

The Simic one is the same cost as Talrand's Invocation.

Izzet one is not removal, it's just the new template for damaging a player now that planeswalker redirection is gone. I don't think it's too strong since we already have Undo and Flames of the Blood Hand.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:26 am 

simic making two tokens feels weird because selesneya relies a lot on tokens for their identity

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:29 am 

Identity: Male
I like the Orzhov design. Your opponent doesn't always have 2 cards to discard, so turning that wasted discard potential into something is a real feel good. It doesn't even matter if it's a strong alternative really.
Discard is more in tune with the Dmir, yes, but is that really a concern with these? Do we need to save design space so that hypothetical cards can be more on-theme?

The Izzet one seems too strong. It's an unconditional (if temporary) 2 for 1 with options. Is there already a spell that lets you copy and/or counter a spell twice over? If not, that would work.

Boros Dilemna is nice, but have one option target two things feels counterintuitive. My automatic assumption would be that choosing the option X times lets me hit X targets.

My takes:
Izzet Dilemma
Instant
  • Counter target spell
  • Copy target spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
I choose C, all of the above!
This has got to be a card already, right?

Boros Dilemma
Instant
  • Creatures you control get +1/+0 until end of turn.
  • Creatures you control get +0/+2 until end of turn.
The best defense is a good offense, but paradoxically...
I really wanted to make it a sorcery at 2 cmc, but I don't know how useful the toughness pump would be then. I guess it lets you attack with impunity for less damage? I somehow think people wouldn't do that even if it were the right option. And I don't know how often it would be the right option.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:07 am 

The Izzet one is negative card advantage since it burns face or bounces. People are having a hard time reading the new template for damage.

Your Izzet one is similar to Insidious Will, Odds // Ends, Psychic Rebuttal, Split Decision. But they don't usually let cards clone two spells because then it can go infinite with another copy of itself.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:13 pm 

Identity: Male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Boros one seems good as a way to dodge damage-based sweepers as is: might be plausible still with X/2s as +0/+1

Like this post