It is currently Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:56 am 

Hello, all! Sunday's come around again, and that means that it's time for another Highlighted M:EMory!

This time, we will take a look at "Ghosts," by Barinellos.

"Ghosts" was originally posted on August 22nd, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on January 10th, 2015. It is a microfiction featuring Cara Holis. Cara, as shown in "Dead Men Tell No Tales," deals with ghosts all the time, but it is not spirits that truly haunt her.

Enjoy!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:25 am 

I know Barin is probably sick of hearing this, because I mention it every time Cara's name comes up, but, for reasons probably best left inside my own strange head, whenever I think of Cara, I always picture her as Stevie Nicks. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:17 am 

I'm usually wont to mention she had strong influences by Olivia Armstrong from FMA when the subject comes up.

So, despite this being a ridiculously short piece, it's still one I find a certain amount of pride in. I use a lot of language in here that one traditionally associates with ghost stories and set up a bit of a bait and switch, trading it out for metaphor and symbolism instead of the literal that would lead one to expect a spiritual encounter.

Cara, as a character, is someone with whom I'd made big plans to use, but sadly, those never manifested, partly because my reach exceeded my grasp. However, I'd like to think I've not squandered her, even if I've not made best use of her potential. Of course, now canon has kind of pushed her out since Kaya showed up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:48 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Barinellos wrote:
I'm usually wont to mention she had strong influences by Olivia Armstrong from FMA when the subject comes up.

Nice! I don't know why, but despite the descriptions of blonde hair when I think of Kara my mind supplies the image on Holy Mantle.

Quote:
Of course, now canon has kind of pushed her out since Kaya showed up.

Meh, even if their field of competence is similar I feel like their characterizations are almost diametrically opposed.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:58 pm 

Greetings! Here, once again, we will take the opportunity to look into the past with this week's Highlighted M:EMories!

Our M:EMory this week is "Artifacts of the Dominia Cabal," by Tevish Szat.

"Artifacts of the Dominia Cabal" was originally posted on June 24th, 2014, and was voted into the Archive on July 6th, 2014. It is a list of some of the most powerful artifacts known to be employed by the once-dominant alliance of planeswalkers who ruled a massive chunk of the multiverse so long ago. Among these mysterious artifacts are the Eye of Foresight, featured in "History's End," the Calling Bell, featured in "The Deluge at Carakera," and of course the Aether Vents, which serve as the ultimate weapon of the multiverse.

Enjoy!

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 27, 28, 29, 30, 31