It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:13 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
ooooo I should have done any card in exile yes. Also I kinda wanted it to transform back when it was empty but felt it looked better with less text. I went through like 5 different iterations of mushroom and trip so glad you liked it

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:55 pm 
YMtC Champ '15

@Dudibus: Yeah, that was my concern. Neither half of the split card is super attention-grabbing as a card, but that's also kind of how real split cards are too. Printability is generally one of my main concerns when designing a card, but I think it left my entry too "safe".

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:39 am 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

This is the first round where I honestly felt bad about being so incredibly nitpicky, but I had to rank you all some how.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:21 pm 

Identity: Male
Who's #1? Who's #1? It's not me but I'm close!

I feared the card would be too good if it could hit multiple targets. That's the only reason. It would have read better worded differently, but even then my rules knowledge couldn't tell me which way it would work.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:14 am 
YMtC Idol Winner

A few comments on the bottom few rankings.

Libe/Curious: There is more to the problem than memory issues. If it was a minor fix, I would have let these slip, but I can’t judge a card well in a theoretical position where the rules have all been ironed out when it’s much more of an issue than many believe. Research it and you’ll see why it’s not so easy to change.

Shadesmoke: This is almost literally Mission Briefing combined with Neceotic Wound.

Holyavenger77: This is a bit of a jumble, particularly on the flavor. Ravnica angels aren’t from Elysium. Also, more worrisome, is that this card takes a bit from a card posted on another fan site, including the exact flavor text of the first half. Perhaps you’re that card’s author as well, but I don’t know.

Rankings

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:24 am 

Double 5 can i get another 5 please!?

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:10 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Damn, everybody hates my designs. I'm getting whomped in PTYMTC5, I never get nommed for CotW...

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am 

Damn, everybody hates my designs. I'm getting whomped in PTYMTC5, I never get nommed for CotW...

It takes practice, i lot of us have been making cards for a decade or more. Don't get discouraged (this forum is dying fast and I hate mtgs)

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:25 am 

Don't worry about it! Practice makes perfect; I'm probably a "mediocre" designer compared to the perennial nominees, but I've gotten a lot better over time.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:42 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:

One thing you can do that takes little effort and goes a long way is format your cards better. It makes a big difference when you present your cards professionally.

Here's your card:

Here
Sorcery (R)
Exile all creature cards from all graveyards
====To===
Eternity
Sorcery (R)
Aftermath
Create a Lhurgoyf creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in exile and in all graveyards"

And here's how I would post it:

Here
Sorcery (R)
Exile all creature cards from all graveyards.
-~-
Eternity
Sorcery (R)
Aftermath
Create a Lhurgoyf creature token with "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in exile and in all graveyards."

See the difference? I bolded the name, put an em-dash between the name and the mana cost, underlined the typeline, cleaned up the split indicator, and, most importantly, put periods at the end of your sentences.

If you look at the top designers on the forums, we all do this. Some people use italics on the typeline, and some leave it alone. Some people just use regular dashes instead of em-dashes. A few people even put the mana cost on its own line. Or there will be other little details: Mown always indents, Riorvard opts to put the P/T above the text box, and Dream Spinner (when she posted more) would always bold the card name when it was referenced in the rules text. Find what works for you. What's important is that you stay consistent, and always take the time to make your cards come across as pristinely and perfect as possible.

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:25 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
Split/Double-sided cards are always obnoxious to format; I'm considering actually denoting the mechanics itself on the split line as opposed the classic --////--, like so:

--/SPLIT (OR)/--
--/FUSE (AND)/--
--/AFTERMATH (TO)/--
--/FLIP/--
--/TRANSFORM/--

But I agree with Parad's sentiments on formatting; develop a solid core that you can build up as Magic starts branching out in terms of its own design space (to the tell the truth, I have yet to design a Saga myself).

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:47 pm 
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

It wasn't the punctuation or formatting for me. It was the card, for the reasons I stated in my comments. I tend to favor flavor over mechanics. "Here" didn't make any sense for a card that is literally making things go away, hypothetically forever. Which played into another thing I am not a fan of, and that is using the Exile zone as just another graveyard. Also, the Llurgoyf, while being likely quite large, had nothing to do with eternity for me, other than it being affected by cards that have passed into Eternity, which does work, just not as much as I would have liked.

Here. This should generate an effect that lends itself to a state of being, or a state of protection, or something focused in the here and now. Granting regeneration, indestructibility, hexproof, or creating a creature token that exists in the current board state would have made more sense to me. On the other half, have something that nods to Eternity either as the hereafter, or an effect that attempts to make something permanent.

Here
Sorcery (R)
Create a black and green Llurgoyf creature token with hexproof and "This creature's power and toughness are each equal to the number of creature cards in all graveyards".
= To =
Eternity
Sorcery (R)
Aftermath
Search target players library for up to six creature cards and put them into their owners graveyard. Then that player shuffle their library.

Here makes a creature token which likely has a strong effect on the game, making it feel present. Eternity actually sends creatures into Eternity so to speak.
Adding Hexproof to the Here creature token lends a further a sense of permanence and helps justify the double mana cost.

I am just postulating on ideas and looking at it from a judging point of view. I only posted this because I wanted to give you more in depth comments since you seem bothered, plus I know how it feels to wish you did better in the contests or with cotw. I am NOT a better designer than you in anyway. I have seen many clever designs come from your posts, plus your signature makes me chuckle every time I read it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:18 pm 

@Dudibus: I'm honestly a little surprised by my bottom rank. I understood the flaws of the conditional split, but thought innovation and a clever take on reprinting "miracles" would be more favorable than sticking to one of the existing split card formats. The front half of the spell is a bit underwhelming for a rare (especially since it would be the most common half that's cast), but I thought the flexibility and raw power level of the back half would make up for it. I was a little worried about the back half being overly powerful, even in it's "only cast as a miracle" form.

Would love to hear more of your thoughts on my design! I don't have any delusions that the card is the best in the round, but I thought it'd land somewhere in the middle of the pack (as reflected in Rumor's ratings).

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Dudibus wrote:
I have seen many clever designs come from your posts, plus your signature makes me chuckle every time I read it.

Is it just me, or does Bruse Tarl look like an 1890s Barnum circus strongman who'd hawk strength tonic patent medicines on the side?

Wait a minute!… PBP, are you telling me your numerical epithet is 89 because Bruse freaking Tarl looks like he's from the 1890s?

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:48 pm 
Moderator Lead

Hi folks,

I've removed some posts from this thread. Please remember to keep things civil and polite.

Thanks,
Lazarus

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:59 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
Rumor wrote:
Libe/Curious: There is more to the problem than memory issues. If it was a minor fix, I would have let these slip, but I can’t judge a card well in a theoretical position where the rules have all been ironed out when it’s much more of an issue than many believe. Research it and you’ll see why it’s not so easy to change.

Can someone expand on this for me, because I'm not really convinced, but if there's something major I'm glossing over then I'm willing to change my rankings accordingly before I post them.
also ngl better formatting does give me a better first impression of your card, I'm not going to say that I take it into consideration, but I'm an imperfect human being (or so I like to try and convince myself) and therefore subject to being influenced by trivial details

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:24 pm 

Is the issue that you have an instant/ sorcery on the battlefield, which means you have to ignore the text on the card?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:09 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

If I recall, MaRo’s old article on Lorwyn/Evoke is a good intro to the issues.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:53 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I found it, and I'm not convinced there's a problem outside of aesthetic ones.
rankings

ask for comments and you might get some

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:07 am 

Flopfoot wrote:
Strange Book - :4:
Artifact
As ~ enters the battlefield, choose Mirrans or Phyrexians.
- Mirrans - :3:, :t:: Draw a card.
- Phyrexians - :2:, :t:: Proliferate.
Comments plz

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next