It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:39 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
razorborne wrote:
downtime is important in longer narratives. the dramatic curve doesn't just go up or the reader gets bored of the constant ramping. what I'd recommend is seeing if you can find a way to tie the more relaxed parts and the action bits together. maybe some foreshadowing in the conversations? maybe she needs something from them for the other bits?

Rhythm is certainly something I should work on. Thing is, now my instinct is to try and add action/drama in order to justify the downtimes :blush:

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:07 am 

Barinellos wrote:
But I would prefer artifacts with actual cards. It gives me more an opportunity to anchor things

Ah! I have a couple favorite artifacts in that case: Vexing Arcanix (mostly thanks to the Ice Age art making it look like the Golden Pelydryn due to context and me loving those books way to much at that time), Ventifact Bottle/Elkin Bottle (Two very different artifacts with the same basic form, hmm...), Bosium Strip, or for ‼Fun‼ times, Cursed Totem
Memory Jar?

Didn't mean to make it seemnI was ignoring you both, just haven't had time to parse the possible angles on all these yet.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:16 pm 

Rhythm is certainly something I should work on. Thing is, now my instinct is to try and add action/drama in order to justify the downtimes

My personal experience is that I can't force pacing -- at least not in the first draft. The story sort of has to go how it wants to go -- it breathes in, and it breathes out, and I don't know a way to regulate that which stops short of strangulation. :takei: So, when I'm just trying to get something on paper, I've learned that I have to let it spool out at its own pace, or else it's not going to happen at all.

The second draft -- and many subsequent drafts, besides -- are sort of where I get to have my say about pacing. And, 99.44 percent of the time, what that amounts to is cutting. I can't recall ever having tried to add to a story in order to ratchet things up, and I think the number of times I've expanded a scene I can probably count on one hand. What can and does happen though is that I'll notice which parts of the story seem like, maybe, they drag a little bit, and, if it doesn't feel like the good sort of dragging -- which, by the way, I firmly believe exists -- then really the only thing I know how to do is to start taking a hatchet to things until they get a little less draggy. And that happens in stages, usually. The first attempt is usually trimming around the margins -- partly for experimentation, and partly just to get through the mental barrier of proving that I can take things out, and I won't miss them. If that doesn't get the job done, then the second swing of the hatchet tends to be the one that cuts deep -- that's when whole grafs start to go, instead of just a sentence or two here and there. And, basically, all I can do is keep swinging until the story feels right and tight.

Anyhow, that's my experience, and, as ever, your mileage may vary. :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:47 am 

I'll focus on writing a complete first draft first, then. Thanks for the pointer!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:10 am 

I've an idea for a new story, but I'm not sure if it falls into the thread length minimum for a story.
I'm projecting it at about 1000 words estimated, but it might be about 250 give/take.
Does that seem long enough for its own dedicated thread?

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:34 am 

Barinellos wrote:
I've an idea for a new story, but I'm not sure if it falls into the thread length minimum for a story.

I didn't know we had one.

Barinellos wrote:
I'm projecting it at about 1000 words estimated, but it might be about 250 give/take.
Does that seem long enough for its own dedicated thread?

I put "Aversion" in its own thread, and "Sands," and I'm sure others. I don't think it really matters, personally.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:19 am 

I don't think there's a minimum length. I mean, technically it might be tagged [microfiction] instead of [story] (Planeswalking in Circles, for instance, which was voted in) but there's no reason why it couldn't be treated as an independent work.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:51 am 

I don't think there's a minimum length. I mean, technically it might be tagged [microfiction] instead of [story] (Planeswalking in Circles, for instance, which was voted in) but there's no reason why it couldn't be treated as an independent work.

I agree. I'd add that microfiction kinda hints at the fact it's somewhat irrelevant to the main storyline to me, but on the other hand significantly pushing forward a storyline with a self-contained 1000- word piece it's not easy; not impossible, though.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:15 pm 

Identity: Human
Out of my own idle curiosity, would driders be given their own creature type, or fall under something like centaur or mutant?

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:34 pm 

Out of my own idle curiosity, would driders be given their own creature type, or fall under something like centaur or mutant?

Following the example set by things like coiling oracle and beetleform mage, they'd just be multitype.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:48 pm 

Is there some sort of supertype that human-like elementals such as dryads and naiads fall under? Are they just a subtype of elemental, or something their own? What are the other three colors of these -ads, anyway?

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:26 am 

Dryads, Naiads, Lampads, Oreads, and Alseids all shared the "Nymph" type in Theros

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:34 pm 

Many thanks. I mostly ignored Theros, so I wasn't aware of these things.

Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:55 pm 

So, I've been idly brainstorming a Dominaria-themed story (that almost certainly won't be done while the set is current but that's neither here nor there), and I have to ask -- what, if anything, do we know about Tolaria West concurrent with the Mending? Other than presumably it's an academy that teaches (blue-focused?) magic and exists presumably to the west of old Tolaria. To my knowledge, its only sources are the cards Tolaria West and Academy at Tolaria West but I might have missed more esoteric sources like tweets, comicon panels, etc. Did it even exist circa the Mending?

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:44 pm 

The information in the planes of planechase article is the extent of information we have regarding it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:14 pm 

Do you think that four-armed Vedalken would be right and left handed, meaning BOTH their right hands or BOTH their left hands would be dominant, upper handed or lower handed, meaning BOTH their upper hands or BOTH their lower hands would be dominant, or would ONE of their four hands would be dominant, so they would be, for instance, Upper Right handed or Lower Left handed?

Personally, I suspect that they would be right or left, and it would be both, but I actually like the idea that only one of their four hands would be dominant.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 pm 

I'm in favor of partial dominance. That is, they'd favor one hand primarily, the other on the same side less so, and the remaining two the least. I have a feeling, though, that they tend to be more polydexterous than humans are ambidexterous.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:24 am 

I'd think vedalken tend to favor one of the upper hands (closer to the face and less limited in its movements), then the other hand of the pair (having mirrored hands that allow for easy head access of the head - for eating or just watching what you're doing - sounds easier than doing it with a "vertical" pair of hands) and the lower pair is usually used as support or for minor tasks, as picking up objects while the main hands work. I second the idea that being able to write with both hands on the dominant side, for example, is more common than ambidexterity (?) for humans, but not incredibly more so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:43 am 

I haven't brought it up in a story yet, although I'm planning to, but I picture the culture Tey'von is from as having adapted to life among the two-armed. As such, the top arms are primary (and either one of those would be the dominant), and the lower arms are usually hidden in clothing unless they are needed for an especially complicated task.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:17 pm 

I would think that if I had four hands, I would probably naturally use one specific hand for all the more dexterous tasks I may need them for, but that I would probably train myself over the years to use more than just the one, just like how I tend to use my left hand to cut my meat because of my High School Spanish class. I am aware of how weird that sounds.

Know your roots.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 684 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35  Next