It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm 

Identity: ItsreallyDJ0045
Preferred Pronoun Set: I'm male, lol!
Funny, I was building Merfolk earlier independent of the game. That concept actually looks pretty interesting to me - for a tribal deck.

Something along these lines:

Deck: IXRI Merfolk

Counts : 60 main / 15 sideboard

Creatures:30
4 x Mist-Cloaked Herald
4 x Deeproot Elite
4 x Merfolk Mistbinder
4 x River Sneak
4 x Jadelight Ranger
3 x Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca
3 x Herald of Secret Streams
2 x Seafloor Oracle
2 x Tishana, Voice of Thunder

Spells:6
2 x Dowsing Dagger
3 x Deeproot Waters
1 x Growing Rites of Itlimoc

Lands:24
6 x Forest
10 x Island
4 x Unclaimed Territory
4 x Woodland Stream

Sideboard:15
4 x Swift Warden
4 x Entrancing Melody
2 x Negate
3 x Crashing Tide
2 x Crushing Canopy

I could envision a version that cuts Jadelight Ranger for 2 each of Jace, Cunning Castaway and Kopala, Warden of the Waves (with a switch to 10 forest, 6 islands or so), but after some goldfishing, I am pretty sure the Ranger is actually a better card (and not just in this deck, in general).

I'm really enjoying the unblockable sub theme conceptually, and I think it could work as a non-interactive deck. It just needs a few tools to actually be fully competitive. Anyway, as is, this is deck is a t5 clock, generally, and might be able to kill dinosaurs off, sometimes, before they get to their big stuff, all the while going around their blockers. Hard to say, without testing.

Also, please note, I can't test these decks, so they are all just concepts. Let me know what you all think.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
That's a good one.
Your first three I met in that order in one game I lost.

New Arena Content Now! Streaming coming soon!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/
Shakey Deal Audio Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDealAudio1/

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:20 am 

I'd test them if I only had the required cards... grind is slooooow.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:01 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: Mr.
Speaking of slow. I wish the timer was a little slower. It's not a good card to begin with but I'm going to have to take Sanguine Sacrament out. I only have it in there to try and recover from Dinos and fast Merfolk but I damn near ran out of time only playing it for 7 total (10 life) last night!

New Arena Content Now! Streaming coming soon!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster
My band Shakey Deal YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBpPU1fbAjSPTfu3g0vubLw
Shakey Deal Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDeal.Neil.Young.tribute/
Shakey Deal Audio Page
https://www.facebook.com/ShakeyDealAudio1/

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 pm 

And here’s another interesting concept:

Deck: IXRI GB Value

Creatures:23
4 x Merfolk Branchwalker
4 x Seekers' Squire
2 x Wildgrowth Walker
4 x Jadelight Ranger
3 x Ruin Raider
3 x Ravenous Chupacabra
3 x Crested Herdcaller

Spells:13
2 x Shapers' Sanctuary
4 x Moment of Craving
2 x Growing Rites of Itlimoc
2 x Journey to Eternity
1 x Vona's Hunger
2 x Vraska's Contempt

10 x Forest
4 x Foul Orchard
10 x Swamp

3 x Deadeye Tracker
3 x Thrashing Brontodon
3 x Duress
2 x Golden Demise
1 x Vona's Hunger
1 x Vraska's Contempt
2 x Vraska, Relic Seeker

Let’s explore (ha ha haaaaaaa... ugh) the possibilities. Conceptually, I think this deck has some potential, although the 2 drops aren’t perfect. Lots of ETBs that return value, and creatures which are reasonably good no matter how the ETBs go. Then we’ve got some cards that take advantage of those ETBs and can recur them. Reasonable removal package, and actually decent SB’ing options. I’m interested to see how good Crested Herdcaller is, in this deck and in general. 5 mana for 6 power with trample across two bodies could be good. If not, I’d look at some of the 4 drops as a replacement, rather than going up to the overhyped 6 drop options. Cards to consider: Twilight Prophet, Ripjaw Raptor, Emperor's Vanguard

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:08 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Funny, I was building Merfolk earlier independent of the game. That concept actually looks pretty interesting to me - for a tribal deck.

Something along these lines:

Deck: IXRI Merfolk

Creatures:30
4 x Mist-Cloaked Herald
4 x Deeproot Elite
4 x Merfolk Mistbinder
4 x River Sneak
4 x Jadelight Ranger
3 x Kumena, Tyrant of Orazca
3 x Herald of Secret Streams
2 x Seafloor Oracle
2 x Tishana, Voice of Thunder

Spells:6
2 x Dowsing Dagger
3 x Deeproot Waters
1 x Growing Rites of Itlimoc

6 x Forest
10 x Island
4 x Unclaimed Territory
4 x Woodland Stream

4 x Swift Warden
4 x Entrancing Melody
2 x Negate
3 x Crashing Tide
2 x Crushing Canopy

I could envision a version that cuts Jadelight Ranger for 2 each of Jace, Cunning Castaway and Kopala, Warden of the Waves (with a switch to 10 forest, 6 islands or so), but after some goldfishing, I am pretty sure the Ranger is actually a better card (and not just in this deck, in general).

I'm really enjoying the unblockable sub theme conceptually, and I think it could work as a non-interactive deck. It just needs a few tools to actually be fully competitive. Anyway, as is, this is deck is a t5 clock, generally, and might be able to kill dinosaurs off, sometimes, before they get to their big stuff, all the while going around their blockers. Hard to say, without testing.

Also, please note, I can't test these decks, so they are all just concepts. Let me know what you all think.

What, where is the Branchwalker? It's the best non lord (and pseudo lord) 2 drop merfolk. You also need Vineshaper Mystics and Kumena's Speaker, playset for everyone. You don't need the expensive stuff like Tishana, Seafloor Oracle is mostly a sideboard card, Herald is not the best one, i could see 1 or 2 copies but in general i would prefer the merfolk that taps your opponent out, it is a better finisher, Ranger is another card that i think it's only fine in merfolks, but not good.
But maybe you want something less tempoish and more going wide and big, considering also Deeproot Waters. If this is the case you should cut the unblockable 1 drop, it's not something you need. If you want to go tempo, then change your spells with protection and interaction.

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8WdNm ... mA6v3zuwoA
Deckbuilding contest: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=17763

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:22 pm 

Yeah, I’m not going tempo, I’m going non-interactive. I don’t agree with much of what you’re saying btw. You’re talking about a different list that aims for different things - the only thing in common is they both run some (very few) of the same merfolk.

That said, you’re flat out wrong about Ranger. It’s, to my knowledge, the only one of these cards - along with Branchwalker (which I agree I probably need to add, but it’s way less powerful so maybe not) - which has seen competitive play, and success thus far.

Also, I don’t need to tap my opponent out, if my plan is to completely ignore his blockers.

Granted, Tishana is probably wasted space, but I like it as a card draw card - yeah, I know, there are better options... let me Timmy until I get a chance to prove myself wrong. :p

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:41 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
Yeah, I’m not going tempo, I’m going non-interactive. I don’t agree with much of what you’re saying btw. You’re talking about a different list that aims for different things - the only thing in common is they both run some (very few) of the same merfolk.

That said, you’re flat out wrong about Ranger. It’s, to my knowledge, the only one of these cards - along with Branchwalker (which I agree I probably need to add, but it’s way less powerful so maybe not) - which has seen competitive play, and success thus far.

Also, I don’t need to tap my opponent out, if my plan is to completely ignore his blockers.

Granted, Tishana is probably wasted space, but I like it as a card draw card - yeah, I know, there are better options... let me Timmy until I get a chance to prove myself wrong. :p

Ok since you are not going tempo i just make a different comment. Dagger seems unneeded, as equipment is only fine but not especially good, and apart for Tishana you don't need the other side.
Competitive play is already started? I don't know if you talk about competitive leagues on mtgo, but i feel that we cannot talk about competitiveness in this period, given the new set has only one week and bannings in standard have shuffled everything. But i'm 100% sure than Branchwalker > Ranger even in your deck. You can skip Kumena's Speaker in your deck, but Vineshaper seems awesome given Deeproot Waters and Herald of Secret Streams.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:51 pm 

Giocher wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:

Ok since you are not going tempo i just make a different comment. Dagger seems unneeded, as equipment is only fine but not especially good, and apart for Tishana you don't need the other side.
Competitive play is already started? I don't know if you talk about competitive leagues on mtgo, but i feel that we cannot talk about competitiveness in this period, given the new set has only one week and bannings in standard have shuffled everything. But i'm 100% sure than Branchwalker > Ranger even in your deck. You can skip Kumena's Speaker in your deck, but Vineshaper seems awesome given Deeproot Waters and Herald of Secret Streams.

The dagger is an interesting debate imo. Flipping it is a may and would depend heavily on cards in hand and drawing potential (e.g.: do I have Tishana, or Seafloor Oracle amongst other decision vectors - also, Entrancing Melody out of the SB). And for sure, as built, this deck will have the option frequently.

Trust me Ranger is good, Branchwalker is ALSO good (less good though). Both will feature in Snake.dec going forward so they should see plenty of competitive play. But even without Constrictor they are solid IMO.

I don’t like Vineshaper... its floor is too low, vanilla 2/4 (edit. See below, sorry bout that) for 3.

Last edited by DJ0045 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:05 pm 

DJ0045 wrote:
I don’t like Vineshaper... its floor is too low, vanilla 2/3 for 3.

It's actually a 2/4 for 3 at worst. At best it can put 2 counters on your unblockable creatures, or on your hexproof tokens or on any creature when you have Herald. And it's hard for me to imagine that you have nothing on the board when you play it, but still a 2/4 in a counters matter deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:13 pm 

Giocher wrote:
DJ0045 wrote:
I don’t like Vineshaper... its floor is too low, vanilla 2/3 for 3.

It's actually a 2/4 for 3 at worst. At best it can put 2 counters on your unblockable creatures, or on your hexproof tokens or on any creature when you have Herald. And it's hard for me to imagine that you have nothing on the board when you play it, but still a 2/4 in a counters matter deck.

Sorry, I meant 2/4, I just misstyped it. I don’t like conditional cards with low floors. I just see it as highly conditional on board state, and as a pretty poor top deck and basically just a blocker. Yes, some of the other cards in the deck share that same concern, but they are all cheaper. The exception, Tishana, but like I said /Timmy.

Based on this convo... - 2 Tishana, + 2 Oracle, then possibly (all, or none of the following) -4 herald, +4 Branchwalker, -1 dagger, +1 itlamoc.

Thought: would be awesome if this deck could somehow run Huatli, Radiant Champion... maybe use Evolving Wilds instead of the crappy duals, then add one plains (plus keep the dagger). Edit: NVM, talk about a low floor. Would be cool if and only if we are already going to win anyway.

Stupid garbage mana options.

Last edited by DJ0045 on Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:43 pm 

I've started off with mono aggro decks (w, b, r), and the red is showing some potential. I think there's something to be said for a super low curve build:

4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Daring Buccaneer
4 x Rigging Runner
4 x Goblin Trailblazer
2 x Headstrong Brute
2 x Rampaging Ferocidon

4 x Mutiny
4 x Sure Strike
4 x Buccaneer's Bravado
4 x Lightning Strike
2 x See Red
2 x Pirate's Cutlass

18 x Mountain
2 x Field of Ruin

I'm lacking a bunch of this (especially 1 drops) in my much less focused current build, just noticed how good the Sure Strike & Bravado are in tandem and think they can be pretty easily exploited for 10+ damage out of nowhere to close out games. I don't totally like Ferocidon over extra Brutes because of that, but Vamp lifegain can obviously be an issue.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:43 pm 

My current mono-red Rdw that is starting to kick some serious ass, going on some serious winning streaks.

1-drops
4 Rigging Runner (I'll play them T1 if I don't have any other 1-drop and not regretting it at all)
4 Fanatical Firebrand (great for doing that extra point of damage or clearing lifelinking tokens)
2 Daring Buccaneer (I'd play more if I had more. Very good 1-drop, can lead to very fast starts)

2-drops
4 Fathom Fleet Firebrand (mana sinks have been essential because it may be confirmation bias, but I seem to flood a lot)
3 Goblin Trailblazer (menace works best in this removal heavy version, just keep killing the blockers)
1 Tilonalli's Summoner (currently testing this guy. It conflicts slightly with ferocidine, but has been great so far. Kind of like Hanweir garrison, its a must remove or things get out of hand. A card to hold and play later when op's removal is spent and you have 4-5 land)

3-drops
2 Captain Lannery Storm (this lady kick ass and the ramp is very useful for T4 Monstrosaurs)
2 Rampaging Ferocidon (mono-red doesn't like lifegain - check. Evasive - check. Punishes other aggro decks - check. Ticks all the boxes...)

4-drops
1 Captivating Crew (Good, but not quite right for this build. Will probably be the next cut)
1 Rekindling Phoenix (very good! You need to kill it twice to get rid of it, so its guaranteed card advantage and a big flying finisher is great because there are many weak to flyers decks)

5-drops
2 Charging Monstrosaur (big scary lizards with share teeth. Amazingly easy to cast)

Removal
4 Lightning Strike (This is a staple, but everyone expects it and that gives 4 toughness extra value...)
3 Bombard (That's were this card comes in. Instant speed, extra Reach and I've rarely thrown burn at the face in this meta anyway)
1 Repeating Barrage (very drawn out, long games are rare for this deck, but sometimes you run out of cards, so the Raider option is ocasionally useful)

Pumps
3 Dinosaur Stampede (get out a wide board and finish him! Also great with the Rigging Runner)
1 Buccaneer's Bravado (The big question is whether to save it for a finishing blow or to take out a big chunk of life early)

Lands
21 Mountain
1 Field of Ruin

I'll update it as I get more stuff, but its becoming very consistent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:33 pm 

I've started off with mono aggro decks (w, b, r), and the red is showing some potential. I think there's something to be said for a super low curve build:

4 x Fanatical Firebrand
4 x Daring Buccaneer
4 x Rigging Runner
4 x Goblin Trailblazer
2 x Headstrong Brute
2 x Rampaging Ferocidon

4 x Mutiny
4 x Sure Strike
4 x Buccaneer's Bravado
4 x Lightning Strike
2 x See Red
2 x Pirate's Cutlass

18 x Mountain
2 x Field of Ruin

I'm lacking a bunch of this (especially 1 drops) in my much less focused current build, just noticed how good the Sure Strike & Bravado are in tandem and think they can be pretty easily exploited for 10+ damage out of nowhere to close out games. I don't totally like Ferocidon over extra Brutes because of that, but Vamp lifegain can obviously be an issue.

I tested mutiny and its ok, but not good enough. It'll usually kill your opponent's 2nd best creature for 1 mana, but most of the time you want to kill their best one...
I didn't like sure strike either, your too dependant on having a board if you run so many pumps.
I'll take Lannery Storm over the Brutes any day. Ferocidon too.
Haven't pulled any see red's yet, but I think they're for a different deck.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:07 pm 

The couple Mutiny I have have been great. The plan is just super aggressive starts, followed up with menace so it doesn't really matter which creature they lose, so long as they're down a blocker. Fatal Push often can't kill their best creatures either, but 1 mana removal is just super valuable in the right setting.

I'm running bombard in my current build too. It's fine, but I'd like it about 70% more if Ripjaw only had 4 toughness.

See Red I don't have yet either, running a couple swashbuckling for now. Dropping them on a T1 Buccaneer/Runner feels great though.

You may be right about too many pumps, I'll check ratios when I get there and maybe add more 2 cmc creatures. But hitting for 14 with a Brute T4 is a thing of beauty.

My top end right now is similar to yours - a couple Monstrosaur, a Captivating Crew I'd happily exchange for a Phoenix, a Rowdy Crew I haven't even played yet, a Repeating Barrage pretending to be my fourth Lightning Strike and a couple Ferocidon. I cut my Lannery Storm cause I felt like she was just a hasty bear and I didn't have enough above 3cmc to really justify the ramp.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:20 pm 

Haven... How good are Tilonalli's Summoner, and Rekindling Pheonix? The first b.c. I'm curious if it's good at all (and have been considering building around it), the second b.c. I expect it to be a stand out card from the set. I’m talking constructed potential, obviously... you already answered for limited.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:23 am 

DJ0045 wrote:
Haven... How good are Tilonalli's Summoner, and Rekindling Pheonix? The first b.c. I'm curious if it's good at all (and have been considering building around it), the second b.c. I expect it to be a stand out card from the set. I’m talking constructed potential, obviously... you already answered for limited.

Both have impressed me so far, but that could just be because they've come up at the right time (being singletons) or I've just been using them against players who's never played against them. Summoner isn't a 2-drop you'd play on T2, its value comes when you can get the city's blessing, so you hang on to it, let opponent use his removal on other stuff, then drop it when you can get the blessing on the next attack. It helps a lot when your running out of cards to keep up the pressure and if unanswered, will go bonkers (just like garrison). Would be better with haste... Could be good in other city's blessing decks too.
Phoenix is great. Red has no other flyer and the hard to kill factor makes it a pain in the ass for ops. Could also benefit if it always had haste, but can't really complain. Double :r: limits splashability, but it seems like a solid card, if for nothing more than eating up 2 removal spells.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:11 am 

I broke down and built a RG Dinos; I didn't really want to but the RNG had a thumb on the scale, starting me with 3 each of Commune, Huntmaster, Drover, Lightning Strike, Savage Stomp, Ferocidon & Monstrosaur. It's predictably decent but kinda boring to play. RNG also gifted me a Trapjaw Tyrant for a win last night, but I don't have much of anything to build around it with, so it's just a cool big monster for now and not a closer. I'm far more excited about getting my full playset of Mutiny. That card's amazing and I'm not sure why people are lukewarm about it.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:31 am 

Havens red deck is the first thing I’ve seen that I’d be wanting to build

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:04 am 

I broke down and built a RG Dinos; I didn't really want to but the RNG had a thumb on the scale, starting me with 3 each of Commune, Huntmaster, Drover, Lightning Strike, Savage Stomp, Ferocidon & Monstrosaur. It's predictably decent but kinda boring to play. RNG also gifted me a Trapjaw Tyrant for a win last night, but I don't have much of anything to build around it with, so it's just a cool big monster for now and not a closer. I'm far more excited about getting my full playset of Mutiny. That card's amazing and I'm not sure why people are lukewarm about it.

I built the rg dino deck pre-wipe but never got around to playing it... I am actually considering mono-red Dinos, but I'm lacking too many cards for it now and it does loose some value if I cut Green altogether... But Reckless Rage (which I haven't seen anyone play) Looks so good for a dino deck, but unfortunately the best enrage Dinos are actually Green...
Anyway, mutiny... I like it, but the way I see it, it will kill the tapped guy and not the blocker. Why? Because it will usually kill the 1-drop on T2, 2-drop on T3, etc... And does nothing if they only have 1 dude, so it becomes somewhat situational. On the other hand, It will enable enrage all too often, which in the dino-meta is a big draw-back. Sorcery speed also deducts value. I'd love it if both creatures dealt damage to each other, that would be situational 2-for-1 bliss, that every control deck would play.
I actually misread Trapjaw when a guy played it against me and I tried Burning it to kill it with first strike and ended up losing my first striker and the tyrant survived. Luckily I had a sh@tload of Tilonalli's Summoner tokens to Push through enough damage for lethal next turn.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 222 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next