It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:51 pm 

Lol, hey I like equipment! I can’t wait to draw a ton of it and no creatures

Weapons Trainer

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:28 pm 

Finished up the ladders series with Nomad's "Scrappy Stamina" finishing 4-3. Kinda disappointed after my early games and particularly G2 here which were all great. Rough series.

Record: 4/7 On the play feels great. I think with more piloting this improves since the low curve and mono probably mean I ought to be fishing for more killer hands than fine ones. Felt a bit overmatched on the draw vs. the NRG and constrictor decks (though possibly that's operator related).
Build: 5/5 All the pieces seem to fit great, draws very well, has a very nice toolkit. I have a complicated relationship with reaver drone now, but I get why he's there.
Enjoyment: 4/5 Really like all of the interactions and there's enough redundancy that rarely do the pieces just feel out of place. Very interesting to play. This not being a 5 has more to do with the series (a couple demoralizing losses, several minimal-resistance wins) than the deck.
SNS: 3/3 I'm not sure the deck actually works without SNS, and the bonus pay-offs, though maybe a little less consistent than other decks, were just crushing and a lot of fun. Very nice.
Total: 16

G1. Win vs. R35 Boros Vehicles
Keep a hand I normally would've chucked, but after reading about the many land+cryptbreaker hand I decided to give it a shot (2cryptbreaker/1 reaver drone). I should say Boros pilots, because he's got some good ones, but never finds a vehicle. Turns out most of the pilots trade for zombies though, and I draw a push for the chief of the foundry that doesn't. Haunted dead and amalgam join the party to accelerate the process.

G2. Win vs. R40 Bantdrazi Ramp
Opponent goes blisterpod->skyspawner-> prophet of distortion->Kiora. I go wanderer, copter, siphoner. SNS when siphoner swings nets an extra from blisterpod/prophet, activates bonepicker, and grabs an amalgam that copter has pitched. Gross. Opponent does save Kiora that turn with skyspawner chumping copter in that same exchange, but it effectively ends the game as he's got a fistful of blisterpods + whatever he never quites get to. A+ SNS.

G3. Loss vs. R40 Temur NRG
I keep a hand that I'm pretty excited about (scrounger, amalgam, copter, SNS) but harnessed lightning dictates SNS on my copter instead of shenanigans while opponent is dropping bad news with cub, harvester, and Nissa, Vital Force. Fatal push eventually gets harvester out of the way and I find a Never for Nissa but I've dawdled too long and refiner (off abbot, value!), Skysovereign, and Glorybringer show up to put a bow on it. I maybe get some credit for piloting error here, since I waffled on the plan quite a bit (race->kill nissa->block->die), and straight up trading SNS for harnessed lightning is maybe not quite good enough for what this deck needs it doing. Even played better I suspect the turns harvester buys get him to his premium cards and carry this one.

G4. Loss vs. R40 Abzan snake
Opponent goes cub->siphoner->constrictor, I go reaver drone->scrounger->cryptbreaker+push (on cub). I trade reaver and cryptbreaker for siphoner which I'm not nuts about -in retrospect I maybe should've leaned into racing and tried to have him dead before draw off the siphoner could be brought to bear. Nonetheless, he's got a snake, I've got a scrounger and I'm ahead in the race so...fine. A copter off the top feels good. On 5 Verderous gearhulk radically shifts that assessment making a 7/7 trample and a 5/6 snake. Copter gets in work finding a Never for the gearhulk, and I've got enough of a lead that there's a *chance* I can outrace the constrictor even now that it's beefy. Ajani next (finding liliana, Death's Majesty) and copter finds another never for that, but (and I should've seen this coming probably) lily reanimates gearhulk for lethal. So stick with the plan. Note for next time.

G5. Win vs. R40 Azorius something
Drone->siphoner->visitor+cryptbreaker on the play while the opponent is dropping taplands/wilds draws an early concession. Gideon of Trials hits the table, but there's a Never in hand for that.

G6. Loss vs. R40 Gruulerium
*Incidently, if the opponent from this match reads this, it wasn't intentional, but I think I must've tabbed out to write up the notes before the final swing since it was at "opponent replaced by AI" instead of "Defeated" when I tabbed back in, if so, sincerely a mistake very sorry.
On the draw early plays go map->drone->copter->copter->gnarlwood dryad +lightning axe (on my copter)->siphoner+push (on his copter and on his T4 obvs). I think this one looks a lot differently on the play since his copter is pretty key in getting on his delerium and gets in for a bit of damage to tilt the race. But anyrate, the lifeloss from drone and siphoner, extra attack and the bigger fronts on dryad (and the looming honored hydra in the GY) make racing untenable. I've got bontu and key, but despite their best efforts I hit a run of land and in the meantime a pair of trackers come down. Turn before last a tracker trades for siphoner, and bontu eats the other, bontu activation off the drone leaves me at 1 and him 11 as the hydra gets embalmed. Key and bontu can't can't find anything but more land and hydra/dryad hold up.

G7. Win vs. R39 Abzan something
Early concession from opponent on this one, though more from his hand I think than from what I was doing. He goes T1 gonti's machinations, T2 evolutionary leap, T3 harvester and concedes (my guess is he can't find white or a creature to make what I can only assume is some awesome combo go) while I go siphoner->harvester. The AI can't figure out what he's trying to do either with blossoming defense, elvish visionary always watching and filigree familiar all showing up. I play it out and with the lifegain it takes a bit but the only real resistance is pumping the harvester to take out my flipped liliana.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:53 pm 

Finished the ladder series with Cucho's "Rakdrazi Stamina" with a record of 5-2. Looked for a bit like it was going to run away in the record category since it was curbstomping things with a steady diet of too-slow ramp, but ends up tied there with Joesenshu's and Wintervoid's decks after a tough game 7.

Record: 5/7 - I suspect this even understates it a little, the games it was winning it was smushing things, and the games it lost each had some technical things that were on me.
Build: 4.9/5 - Nothing particularly the matter here, I liked the colorless piece a lot, but little higher curve and bit of a logjam at 3 along with the 3rd type just made it a little tougher to draw vs. the builds that got 5. Mostly the power level made that up for sure.
Enjoyment: 4/5 - I had a good time with it. The eldrazi piece particularly and the hanweir garrison (I'm a big sucker for that lil' guy). I think there's a timmy part of me that almost wants to have to work harder otherwise this is probably a 5.
SNS: 2/3 - I actually got more work out of SNS here than probably any of the series to date as I was drawing it like crazy and it kept being either useful or very detrimental when I'd neglect to leave it up. And it's got particular synergy with a lot of the list. Just doesn't quite feel "3" broken.
Total: 15.9

G1. Win vs. R39 Simic colorless ramp
Early play goes oath of nissa->land->ruin in their wake->siphoner->land->hellion, swing. T4 opponent drops a though-knot seer and snags my reality smasher (but sees SNS and double push). I swing in again, and after no blocks go ahead and SNS the hellion to get a little more umph putting him to 8. I miss the line where post-sac I'll be able to push his seer during my end step which would've probably been better and drop a scrounger. Opponent drops a matter reshaper and passes back. Swing in and SNS hellion after seer blocks him, scrounger goes to the gy and reshaper reshapes into a skyspawner. I drop a matter reshaper of my own that siphoner's snagged. Opponent drops a druid of the cowl and passes back. A UD off the top gets cast pre-combat on his skyspawner, and he distortions the siphoner in response. I've still got my pair of pushes, and the token and druid get those to clear out the blockers and win.

G2. Win vs. R37 Sultai Ramp
Early play goes ruin in their wake as a fetch->siphoner->land->hellion->languish. This seems like as good a time as any so I drop Chandra, Torch of Defiance and plus her for mana to drop a copter. Next turn opponent casts diabolic tutor. I've got reality smasher that would be great to get down, but there's a thought-knot and I decide to see what the plan for the tutor was. Looks like he grabbed a commit. The rest of his hand is land/ramp, so I exile commit and swing with copter. He casts Nissa's renewal, which will let him survive another turn, and reality smasher comes down and the eldrazi swing in along with Chandra+ to put him back to 5. With Chandra ready to ult and a Board of Beefy Drazis opponent concedes.

G3. Loss vs. R40 Grixis Control
Tough one here that got out of hand fast. I mulligan to a double scrounger/never hand with a pair of wilds that I'm not nuts about but should be ok. He drops land and I drop scroungers. He's at 11 on his T4 and drops and plusses Tezzeret. A wise person just nevers Tezzeret now, or kills him off with the scroungers. I misplay, intending to land/chandra+for mana and never so I go to the face with the scroungers. One gets pushed with tezz's token, no biggie, that doesn't mess up my plan particularly. Chandra goes down and + and I realize my error. I've drawn a matter reshaper so I pretend like that's what I meant. That draws a languish (and reshaper reshapes an...evolving wilds...joy), but still seems OK, I see two mana up so I can just never him this turn. I try to do that but tezz tokens get sacc'd and never is scattered to the winds. Suffice it to say, chandra gets bounced, and Disciple of the Ring comes down and despite him being at 3 I can't get enough to stick to break through from there and stop Tezz from ulting. Although it takes quite a while to wrap up from there, that's where the game ended.

G4. Win vs. 40 Gc Ramp
Opponent plays nissa's pilgrimage and explosive vegetation, but that's too slow this game. Copter->Kari->P&K->hellion and he doesn't get a chance to untap all his land (for the sake of the contest I probably should've used the SNS in hand instead of hellion and P&K technically could've done it by themselves, but the open G woulda made me feel pretty dumb if it was fog).

G5. Win vs. R40 4color Ramp
Copter into siphoner starts getting in. He's gaining some life from Gifts of Paradise (3 total in the game) and I'm a little leary of a sweeper so I decide to drop Chandra Torch. He untaps with Gaea's revenge knocking her off the board. I've got P&K which seems like a fine answer, so that's what goes down and we get in again. He ramps some more and off the top I get a Hellion which pairs nicely with my SNS in hand, so I drop that and crew up copter (with P&K). He's got a cast out for copter pre-combat but I swing with the team. He blocks and SNS knocks revenge out, but when I pass back he's got it and down comes Ulamog, exiling P&K and siphoner and he's still at 12 with a pair of shambling vents. Luckily there's a glorybringer in hand along with another SNS, and unlicensed disintegration for damage (I'd tapped out for glorybringer when the vents were active) which let us put him to -1.

G6. Win vs. R37 Gruul value
Early play goes Scrounger->Visionary->Scrounger (had a wilds I'd drawn)->Rec Sage, killing one scrounger and blocking the other on my swing. I drop Hanweir Garrison and he responds with tracker+land. I swing in with SNS backup and he tries to trade tracker for garrison with visionary trading for a token but SNS thinks otherwise and he concedes. (It takes 2 turns, but seems like he was right, garrison and the reanimated scrounger finish it off with UD backup for his next drop).

G7. Loss vs R38 Rakdos zombies
Keep a light 7 on the first mulligan with Kari, UD, and SNS so I have a hard time playing bully in this one. Early play goes cryptbreaker->Kari->harnessed lightning->land. In retrospect, as my only critter I should've held up Kari till I could use protection, although I'm not sure that decided the game. I get a push off the top and use that on cryptbreaker on my turn so there's no nonsense and I don't have any other plays. The next play opponent drops and plusses Chandra, Torch. I get a hellion off the top and I've drawn a 2nd SNS, so I decide to stack them up just to get her off the board (flashbacks to Tezzeret). Opponent is land go, and I probably should've smelled something up, and just gone for the SNS post-damage, but I don't and a murder neutralizes the threat. Baby lilly comes down on his next turn and I topdeck like a champ with Chandra, Flamecaller who goes down and kills lily with her +1. Opponent drops liliana's mastery in response but Flamecaller wipes the tokens out since I'm a bit on fumes with just UD in hand at the moment and I'm hoping to ride Flamecaller to victory. Next turn opponent drops hanweir battlements and dark salvations for 1 zombie and gives it haste, but after he's finished his maneuver it gets the UD. I get a meaty 6 with the tokens next turn out of flamecaller, but opponent has more plays and I'm out of gas. Diregraff Colossus comes down hasty with the battlements and takes care of Chandra. The next 2 draws I find a push and a siphoner, but the opponent has Hanweir Garrison and another murder for siphoner and push can only ensure I go directly to 0.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:03 am 

So long, 2017. Good bye and good riddance! I hope you rot in a grave marked only by the disdainful few who care enough to piss on it.

Greetings, 2018. The bar is low but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t give it your all! So get out there and show us what you got! We’re rooting for you, kid. Happy New Years, everyone!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:23 am 

Alright, Wintervoid’s build went 3-2 (Recaps on page 7). Time to try Mowie’s.

Hehe, this is my kinda jank. I smush the AI on both warmups but I can tell this thing is slow and a bit delicate - not feeling super optimistic on the ladder.

Game 1 vs R22 RDW: Lose!
Being on the draw doesn’t help. I have a slow hand with 3 land (both colors), Stockpile, Bontu, and SNS x2. Opp drops Flameblade Adept. I top a very welcome Push. Opp swings and I take it. Then he plays Kari. Push! I top Scrounger and play Stockpile so that I’ll be able to hold up SNS after playing Scrounger. Opp plays Garrison. We are officially in Sucktowne, people! Not much I can do with that. I top Smuggy and play Scrounger. Opp swings and passes. I play Smuggy and opp Hungry Flames Scrounger eot (after Stockpile could trigger, too!). I SNS but of course Scrounger comes back tapped. Opp swings again, taking me to 4 and plays Harsh Mentor. Hah! The fool has unwittingly played right into my hands as I am now able to deprive him of the thrill of beating the last glimmers of life from my dying body by playing Kythion and then activating Smuggy twice. SUCKER!

Game 2 vs R23 RDW: Lose!
Oh goody. A rematch. I’m first this time with 3 land, Hanweir, Push, and both Smugglers. Ok, not bad. Opp drops Adept again. I play Smuggy and then Hanweir and crew. Opp double shocks the Smuggy. Fine, I like 2 for ones and I have a spare. But what’s this? An Aethersphere? Even better! Opp feeds my poor Hanweir to his Hungry Flames and then drops HIS Hanweir. Heey! We’re back in Sucktowne! I’ve still got that Push but nothing to trigger Revolt unless I top a creep and he burns it out pre combat. But no, I top the other Harvester. He lays the beating down and drops Kari. I could push but I’m at 10 and Kari would give him exactsies next turn. I’m down with that. (Hand is just land, Push, and the 2 vehicles - nothing that can salvage this game).

Uhm... so it went 0-2 but sort of got hosed with one of the worst matchups, twice. I’ll give it one more game later today against hopefully not R24 RDW. >_<

Ok, last game with Mowie’s and its a goodun’
Game 3 vs R20 Azo Token Jank: Win!
This was a duel of the janky token builds. We both take a while to get going. I start with a 2 lander, Bontu, Hanweir, Push, and 2x SNS. Hanweir comes down and starts swinging while I wait for some land. Opp tries to ambush block with a Spellqueller but SNS saves the day. Then I get land and drop Bontu. Opp plays Annointed Procession. Then heplays Reflector on Bontu. Ok, not like I had any sac fodder anyway. I Push the Reflector same turn in case he has blink effects. I swing with Hanweir and he tries another Queller ambush. Good thing I had that backup SNS. After that he plays Pious Evangel and Selfless Spirit. I get Enthusiast and Chief but we are in a stalemate. I get a hit in with Bontu, sacking the Enthusiast. But he drops Abbey and starts making double tokens with Procession. I’m making tokens, too with my flipped Hanweir, but not as many. He flips Westvale and takes me to 10 while putting himself at 23. But... I also had a Westvale! The noob ignores it and plays another Reflector precombat, targeting Hanweir. I sac servos, human tokens, and Chief to flip Abbey into his attack, gaining us both life. After that we get deadlocked again. I’m nervous because he still has a Reflector and had also played a Cast Out but he hits a little flood giving me time to get Stockpile, AoI, another Enthusiast, and my own Evangel, which I flip. Finally I get a second Hanweir and he gives up.

So I’m counting Mowie’s build as 1-2. Glad I got to get a good game in with it.

Last edited by TheFlakyMage on Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:25 pm 

Okay, so I have done three rounds of double elimination, and here are the results so far:

Round one had two decks lose. Recycled and Electric Cars both had a loss.

Round two had three decks lose. Electric Cars was out, and Long Road and Scrapy took a loss.

Round three had two decks out. Recycled and Long Road both took their second loss. I even replayed Long road because I made some bad judgement calls, but it still lost :(

After three rounds, two undefeated decks of Rakdrazi and Highway. Scrapy has one loss.

Here is the link, and I will start round 4 shortly.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214496098

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:35 pm 

Congrats Winter on being the best for me too :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:12 pm 

Finished up the ladder series with my "Long Road to...?" deck, finishing 4-4* (I played a makeup for one T1 concession and I lost the makeup).

Record: 3/7 - The deck is a bit janky, even my updated list for it is so pretty pleased it did this well. In my defense, I submitted mostly because only 5 had gone in and I'd calibrated against previous "break the cards" decks, against which its jank is less glaring :).
Build: 3/5 - The land setup was a notable issue in 2 of the 8 games and I think the 2nd biggest issue with the deck. I was mostly happy with the other pieces during the series, although the lack of spot removal outside of the conditional 1 of rec sage seems like a big hindrance to it's competitiveness (GD siphoners can go straight to hell!).
Enjoyment: 5/5 - I was actually kinda dreading playing this series, since it had done OK in ladder play-test but that was mostly in mid ranks and everyone else's lists were much better than my usual fare and got me to 40 :P. But the deck did mostly OK, did exactly what I wanted most of the time here, and 3 of the 8 games made me cackle with glee (actually scared my neighbors dogs when the liliana got re-animated, you've GOT to play around the LRH there, did you not see the open white?!). I *think* I was drawing like a champ here, particularly timely on the tragic arrogance's which shore up it's biggest problem, so probably this series was top of the curve enjoyment for it.
SNS/LRH: 3/3 - without spot removal and with the pieces around them it doesn't function without them really, it uses both, and frequently they're the key cards in a match.
Total: 14

G1. Win vs. R37 BW control
Opponent concedes to vanilla liberator->eldritch evolution (Rallier) after exiling the liberator with a declaration in stone. Evidently he missed land 3. I play it out and it takes awhile from there because the AI decides to hit all of his land drops and he's got a fistful of removal + baby lily. SNS saves the rallier on the following turn to keep tinking away, but no bonus value due to the exile. I keep staying one or two bodies ahead of his removal thanks to a drawn stockpile. Eventually another eldritch evolution shows up with a renegade on board that grabs another rallier (adding a token and bringing back renegade) and that draws the planar outburst, but I've got enough mana to sac the side and find a tracker who turns a bit of land flood into a steady stream of tokens and draws that eventually wears him out.

G2. Loss vs. R40 Rakdos goodstuff
Early play goes siphoner->vanilla liberator->pia->stockpile->trade pia for liberator, drop chandra torch. A second siphoner shows up to the party and I've got a rallier and SNS (that ends up needing to be used on a tracker and screws up his blocks on the following turn), but I'm never able to quite cobble together enough bodies to pressure chandra + get rid of the siphoners and they chip / draw away while I stall at 4 land.

G2.1. Win vs. R35 BW artifacts
Another concession (this time t1) to land. Not keeping in the results cuz he stalled out at 2 for awhile, but map->stockpile->tracker->wilds rallier->rallier is just about exactly what we want to be doing so its kinda too bad.

G3. Win vs. R40 white weenie
Nailbiter as I keep a pretty slow hand on a mulligan with Nissa, 2 land, map, verdurous gearhulk, double LRH. Early play goes map->heirloom->land->lone rider->nissa->equip, expedition envoy (game may've hinged on him missing land 3 here if he had the 2nd heirloom in hand already). He gets in with no blocks. Next turn he plays and equips up a 2nd heirloom and Nissa blocks, going on a LRH (grabbing another forest) to keep the 3 threats from flipping. Now I've made it to gearhulk and I make a 6/6 trample and make Nissa a 5/5. He's got a reprisal for gearhulk, but no swing. I've found a stockpile and a tragic arrogance and decide to go with stockpile with an EW to get it going, leaving LRH up. He's got a declaration in stone for Nissa (I thought about saving her, but the artifacts flipping seemed like a bigger problem) and swings in with the team and I send the rider on a long road home to keep the 3 cards from flipping with no block for his envoy. Next turn tragic arrogance gets rid of the rider and 1 heirloom, our servo gets in and I've got an SNS with rallier in hand. We're not out of the woods yet because he drops another envoy and a devoted crop mate and we're way behind on life/board. Rallier and SNS though, and along with stockpile and our land fetches combine to keep pumping out servos long enough to draw us to rec sage (clutch kill on the heirloom and blocks the crop mate), flip lily (who chips away at his hand and draws away some attacks), and greenwarden to ultimately trumps the weenies (and gets back SNS to put us on lock).

G4. Loss vs. R36 BW artifacts
I keep a 2 land mulligan with nissa, lily, rallier, eldritch evolution and tragic arrogance on the play. Unfortunately, my first two draws go angel of invention, stockpile (which doesn't fit with my colors on board) and a map off the top is still not quite good enough. He goes copter, chief, bygone bishop. I finally get to play a thing, and sac map and play rallier (bringing map back). He's got stockpile/Yahenni in response though and swings with the team. I block Yahenni and he sac's chief in response putting me to 5 which unfortunately still leaves him with lethal in the air (and although in the moment I was pretty sure I was just a turn away from a huge tragic arrogance rally, Yahenni could've sac'd the side to keep on the board and probably still carries it from there).

G5. Hard fought Loss vs. R39 Rakdrazi Goodstuff
Tons of back and forth. Early play goes map->siphoner->land->land->rallier(getting back map)->thought-knot seer. This is where it gets fun, because he sees my hand: SNS, LRH, double eldritch evolution, and another rallier. He exiles one of the evolutions and swings in again. On my turn, swing with rallier, but he wants to keep his thought-knot and knows I have SNS, so I get to pump for damage with him tapped out, and then freevolve (saccing and retreiving map again) into angel of invention to shut down his siphoner and maybe lifelink me a bit with rallier still on board. Turns out he has other plans though, as he drops glorybringer and swings with the thought knot and glory bringer. I chump thought knot and he kills the angel, exerting glorybringer. On my turn I drop tracker, swing with the rallier and use LRH to reset and buff the blocker and fetch another land with map. He swings with the team, rallier trades with thought knot, and tracker trades with siphoner (assist from servo) with P&K coming down post combat. But thought-knot does me a solid and I find a Tragic Arrogance! So that's absolutely what happens on my turn along with hidden stockpile, leaving him with a thopter and me with a servo/stockpile and through all the messiness, siphoner and my rallier actually have me ahead in the race 10 to 12 and a card ahead in hand (and mine are pretty good - With tracker, land, Nissa and 7 land on board). His turn is aethersphere harvester (mmm...). So I decide instead of Nissa we'll go with tracker+evolutionary leap off the top, leaving up a hub to leap if needed. On his turn he pushes my servo (oof) and then casts bearer of silence forcing me to sac my tracker, finding a rallier. Nissa comes down and I flip her to trigger stockpile and rallier and make a 4/4 to get 8 power on the board (I still need to find an out for harvester, but this may/should force him to slow way down. He finds a foundry of consuls though that allows him to make some more bodies to pilot and chump and chump that's able to hold me off long enough for him to finish in the air before I can find an out.

G6. Win vs. R35 grixis reanimator
Such a fun one. I mulligan to an OK hand with renegade/gearhulk/SNS hand. Early play goes renegade->land->swing->amalgam->land/hold up blocks->pieces of the puzzle. At this point I see ulamog go in his bin and decide it's time to get swinging. Liberator off the top with a wilds I've been holding onto obliges and they go down. His next turn is artificer's epiphany, drawing for land and discarding another fatty. Gearhulk comes down and I make a 4/5 renegade and 5/4 liberator and swing into his amalgam which chumps the liberator. Next turn though he has the necromantic summons, and goes Ulamog (12/12) with amalgam coming back tapped. I've got a tragic arrogance in hand though, so I swing in with the team, he blocks the renegade and I misplay here for 2 reasons - one, I forget that I'm going to be able to keep both gearhulk and liberator post-arrogance, and two blocking renegade instead of liberator should've clued me in that languish was on the way. Anywho, I SNS gearhulk, planning to make 2 huge beasts post-arrogance, putting him to 2. Of course that ends up not working (my kingdom for a map!), but I get rid of ulamog, letting him keep amalgam. He swings and languishes. I've found a liliana so I drop her but she gets a lightning axe immediately. I also have a dusk in hand that I cast to put dawn in the GY since now I'm out of bodies. On his turn he has another necromantic summons but he thinks about it a long while and decides to grab my liliana, I suppose to lifelink him a bit and deny her for dawn (I'm still at 17) and guess who comes on the long road home in response (mwhaha!!). Unfortunately he has another lightning axe for her when she gets there, because that would've been just about the best. I have that dawn in the bin though so I cast that and I've got enough mana to drop a lethal vanilla liberator. He's still got some gas though, and goes for ever after, bringing back disciple of the ring, Gaea's Revenge and the MVP amalgam. He decides to use his 1 remaining mana to tap down my liberator and get in with Revenge to give him lethal on his next turn. But I've managed to find tragic arrogance # 2 (and even if he hadn't used the mana on tapping, I could've payed the tax) so he gets to keep his amalgam and the liberator gets in for lethal.

G7. Loss vs. Rank 39 Grixis Control
Really came down to the wire. Early play goes map->land->stockpile->land->renegade. At my end step he goes to push the renegade, but I've got an SNS up, so he pops back out. The opponent has a follow up though with unlicensed disintegration on his turn. On mine I go EW/Tracker and swing in. He drops Chandra Torch and blows up the tracker before he can get huge, but the servos are able to take care of her. On my turn I sac a servo and play a rallier to get back the renegade and play a 2nd renegade. Opponent says land go, and that's a lot of mana open, but I've got shenanigans with LRH so I swing in. Torrential Gearhulk comes down, exiling the UD and sending it at the renegade for a second time. I let him block the Rallier and then send rallier on the long road to pick up our extremely persistent renegade. Next turn opponent drops baby jace and passes back. We swing in again, and this time he's got a harnessed lightning in hand for our intrepid renegade (who has yet to connect, but has gotten in WORK). Baby jace blocks a servo and gearhulk takes another shot at blocking the rallier. It's really too bad I didn't have the SNS for this, because it would've been grand, but off rallier goes on the long road so that our renegade can take one more shot at connecting and the servos / 2nd renegade connect, and now I've got him to 4. Opponent has the radiant flames for it though. I sac through most of my side scrying for an answer, and manage to come up with rec sage with dusk // dawn in hand. I drop an EW to reprime stockpile, and try the rec sage, but he's got broken concentration for that. Dusk meets a similar fate and gets scattered to the winds. I manage to topdeck angel of invention, but baby jace is able to start flashing back spells now so radiant flames clears off our board and his gearhulk holds up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:27 pm 

Quote:
In my defense, I submitted mostly because only 5 had gone in and I'd calibrated against previous "break the cards" decks, against which its jank is less glaring :)

The Jank needs no defense. The Jank is what we live for. Embrace the Jank! :D

Srsly, I’m glad you posted and hope you participate in the next round, too. Looking forward to playing your build.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:53 pm 

And here's the final scoring from me (I'll PM to you flaky also):

Electric Cars 3
Highway to Hell 5
Recycled Servos 0
Rakdrazi Stamina 2
Scrappy Stamina 4
Long Road to …? 1

I actually had Nomad, joesenshu, and Cucho all basically at 16. Cucho I'd docked a tenth of a point on build just because the other 5's were slightly more elegant (at least in my series') than any real problem with the list, and I used the SNS score as the tiebreak between nomad and joesenshu (3 to 2).

Mowie, not sure if you read my series with your deck, but I suspect it had a lot more to do with the series/draws/operator error than your list.

Thanks very much for letting me play along, I had a blast with all the decks, and like I mentioned, I actually gained probably 10 ranks over the course of all this, so really nice builds.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:14 pm 

So I just built Cucho’s list and tried it vs AI.
Game 1 I kept a 5 lander, flooded, had my first threat countered, had to deal with both Caracals, and still won. Lol. Game 2 the AI played a counter...

I’m not big on aggro but this one looks well tuned. Looking forward to trying it on the ladder.

Game 1 vs R20 Selesnya Weenie: Win!
First with Swamp, Mtn, Glint, Hanweir, Scrounger, SNS, and Matter Reshaper. I play Swamp. He drops Kytheon. I top Crumbling and play it, using the mana to play Glint. He swings and plays a land and Topan Freeblade. I top Smuggy and play Reshaper and swing with Glint. He plays Sandstone Bridge, pumping Topan and attacks. I block and trade with Reshaper, netting my other Glint. I top land and UD and play Hanweir and attack. He drops land and passes. I top Push and land and swing with all. He chumps a token and tries to activate Kytheon but I Push it in response and then play Scrounger post combat. He drops his first green land at this point (I thought he was mono white till then) but it etb tapped and he got nada so I roll him over next turn.

Game 2 vs R27 Lucky Rakdos S.O.B. Control: Lose!
Sometimes the shuffler gods really seem to take a shine to the other guy and this is one of them. I’m first with 2 land, 2 Kari, Scrounger, Hanweir, and Smasher. I play Kari t2. He plays Cut t2. I play Kari t3. He plays Shadows of the Past (a major contributor to his amazing draws, I’m sure) and then Pushes Kari. I play Hanweir. He plays OoL. I play 2x Scrounger. He plays his own Hanweir and Kari. I play Hellion and swing hard. He takes it all and then swings with Hanweir and blows his last card to UD one of my Scroungers. At this point I have Swamp, Mountain, Summit, and Wastes and am just waiting for that 5th land to play Smasher. But instead I get Thought Knot. I play a 2nd Hellion instead and swing hard. He chumps with Kari and goes to 3 but one of my Hellions is done. He swings with Hanweir and leaves 2 tokens behind and then burns me good with a Ravaging Blaze that eats my Hellion. Ok. Land OR UD! Totally got this, right? Nope. I get Smasher #2. Swing with Scrounger which gets chumped and play TKS for no value. He tops Murder and clears TKS netting a free draw and swings leaving 2 tokens back and taking me to 4. Now or never, game. Gimme the la- Smuggler’s Copter?! He topdecks removal 3 turns in a row and I don’t even get one friggin land? I see how it is. Shuffler favoritism!

Game 3 vs R29 Izzet Control: Win!
I do get to go first a lot. This time I had 3 land, Scrounger, Kari, Hellion, and Push. I play Scrounger and then Kari. Opp plays flip-Chandra. I swing with all and after Kari token goes away I push Chandra. He passes and I swing again. He waits for the token to spawn and Kozi’s Returns. I Stamina my Scrounger and pass. He plays Mage Ring Bully. I Push it. He quits. Play it out and Hellion comes down, but he eeks out one more turn with Impulse on Kari. I get him the following turn with no further resistance.

Game 4 vs R20 Selesnya Humans: Win!
A lot. 4 land, 2 Kari, and Scrounger. T2 I play Scrounger. He plays the green 2 drop that buffs other humans when it attacks. I top UD and hold it, swinging with Scrounger for 3. He plays Thalia. I can’t even wait for combat to zap her (stupid - I’d rather he swing, thinking he’s got the upper hand than go defensive). Fortunately, he’s in a pugilistic mood and pings me with the 2/2. I top another UD and play Kari and swing. He plays Hope Against Hope. I play UD and take him to 2. He plays 2 1-drops. I play Glorybringer and put him out of his misery.

Game 5 vs R27 Mardu Cars: Win!
An uncanny amount of times, even. 4 lands, Scrounger, Hanweir, and Glorybringer. T2 I drop Scrounger and he drops Inventor’s Apprentice. T3 Garrison gets UDd. T4 Kari gets burned out with Chandra, Torch. T5 Glorybringer clears his Adept and lets Scrounger take out Chandra (prolly a misplay - Scrounger to face and unexerted Glorybringer to Chandra would havd been optimal, I think). He plays Fleetwheel and whacks me with it. I have Chandra, Flamecaller in hand with 6th land but its an EW so I just play the Smugglers I topped and wing him with Scrounger. He drops Renegade Wheelsmith and Master Trinketeer and swings with Fleetwheel. I play Chandra and swing hard ftw. These games take longer to recap than they do to play!

Ok, that’s 5 with Cucho’s and his currently has the best record so I’m going to test the other two and see if either can go 4-1 or better before going another round with this one.

Last edited by TheFlakyMage on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:22 pm 

Well, that took a while. I went ten rounds, but I am calling it a tie because I don't want to play any longer :P

Here is how the rounds went as far as win/loss

R4 All decks win
R5 Scrappy loses and is out
R6 Rakdrazi gets a loss
R7 Highway gets a loss
R8 Both win
R9 Both win
R10 Both win.

Based on that, I will call it a tie, so here are how they break down for me:

4.5 Highway to Hell
4.5 Rakdrazi Stamina
3 Scrappy Stamina
1.5 Long Road to...?
1.5 Recycled Servos
0 Electric Cars

Most the losses were due to mana issues. A few games I replayed due to misplays on my part.

Anyway, fun contest. Thanks for running Flakey.

Oh, and here are the games if anyone wants. Way too long though, and too lazy to do write ups.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214498819

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:22 am 

I will continue the trials tonight,dont close the round yet Flaky!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:34 am 

Don’t worry. I set the deadline late this time bc of holidays.

Still waiting for Soup to chime in with his signature snarky comments, too. He prolly caught all the vomit bug cooties from his little demonlings. I’m pretty sure that’s how parenting works. Send the young’ns out into this giant bacterial petri dish called school and then reel em back in to see what you can catch.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:54 pm 

I just wanted to express my appreciation for everyone that writes out detailed game descriptions. I have been too lazy and just record the games, which is no where near as convenient for others.

You guys really help the work day progress.

Thanks

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 pm 

Thanks! I also appreciate your recordings. It's interesting actually watching other people playing the same decks.

I ended up feeling like Scrappy Stamina really wasn't aggressive enough. I think the Cryptbreakers are awesome but kind of fight against a proper aggro game plan. I pulled them and started thinking about how aggressive I could be at 1CMC, which led me to Thornbow Archers and Bomats. That in turn led to Hazoret replacing Bontu, cause what the deck is doing lends itself more to discard than sacrifice, plus she's faster. So technically it's "Grixis" now:

Scrappier Stamina
Creatures (26)
2 x  Bomat Courier
4 x Thornbow Archer
2 x  Dread Wanderer
3 x  Reaver Drone
2 x  Asylum Visitor
2 x  Glint-Sleeve Siphoner
2 x  Scrapheap Scrounger
2 x  Prized Amalgam
3 x  Haunted Dead
3 x  Bone Picker
1 x Hazoret the Fervent

Spells (15)
3 x  Fatal Push
2 x Sinister Concoction
4 x  Supernatural Stamina
1 x  Heart of Kiran
2 x  Smuggler's Copter
2 x  Key to the City
1 x  Aethersphere Harvester

Land (19)
14 x  Swamp
2 x  Dragonskull Summit
2 x  Smoldering Marsh
1 x Aether Hub

I had a Throne in there but felt like I needed a second Concoction for the discard outlet. I miss it, and almost wonder if I should replace the Harvester with it. Having no 3 drops is kind of nice honestly. I'm not sure about the land, whether it's good as is, or whether I should add another Hub at the expense of either a Swamp or a Marsh. More ladder testing needed, but this build feels more right to me than the original.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:10 pm 

Scrappy did fairly well for me, but I did not like the Reaver Drones. In a race, I was very happy when they traded, and in a slower matchup the life loss worried me. I prefer Thornbows, especially since an opponent can not stop the loss of life (unless elves...and you should be winning vs elves anyway, right? :P ) With both, 1 mana spot seems a bit crowded, but I am not an agro player, so take that with a grain of salt.

As far as other things, one combo I kinda expected to see was Stamina/Fleshbag. Probably too specialized for your list, but like the idea of turning stamina into removal.

BTW, my favorite play was with two cards in hand, one being Asylum Visitor, discarding to Haunted dead EOT. You end up with 3 creatures (Or more with Prized) for the cost of 1 life, 4 mana and 1 card. Pretty good value. I pulled that off a couple of times.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:05 pm 

There's no such thing a crowded 1CMC slot! Not here anyway. I get you on the Reaver from the contest build though; I still stand by the choice cause I think it's important that it can trade with Crashers and Refiners and the like, plus there are plenty of elves in the Duels meta. But I'm finding they really both work best together, and having the Bomat in as another colorless creature doesn't hurt.

Speaking of Bomat, that's fantastic here. I just goldfished some poor fellow and their tap lands in 4:
T1: Swamp, Bomat, attack (19)
T2: Swamp, Archer, Reaver, attack (18)
T3: Marsh, SNS Bomat, attack (11), crack Bomat discarding Amalgam & Harvester, draw and play Bone Picker, Amalgam back eot.
T4: Concoction, kill Thalia, win.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:08 pm 

I did try fleshbag but most times I just didin´t want to cast it at all, after the Ulamog incident I´m thinking maybe one copy can make the cut, but that will be after this trials end.
so here´s where I´m ATM -and I took the time to put them in the official order, Flaky-
Tesla fruit engine 4-0
Wintervoid 3-1
Mowie´s Cervix 1-2
Rakdrazi 3-0
Scrappy 3-1
Bzzt 3-0
---
Ok so I got to finish R4 with my pile and BZZT and and then we continue to R5
lets start with those Eldrazi meanies, after I grab a beer coz its too hot over here and I deserve it after being a good boy on new year- by the way my best wishes to this gang!-

Ok Vr R34 mono white
the game lag and I´m stuck with UD 4 lands and Glorybringer so... I´m playing this hand and see how it comes out.

he starts aggressive and I´m sitting ducks
T1 that 2/1
T2 Glory bound
T3 that 2/2 first strike
I cast UD on T3
And I´m holding a second one
He T4 Angelic destiny the 2/1 I UD in response
then I drop Glorybringer, gets removed
but he is running out of gas
I drop a second Glory bringer and kill his Knight, then he declares my poor dragon in stone... you bastard!
so I cast Chandra wipe the board of one or two creatures left on the board and after that a Hellion followed by Scrappy seals the deal!
4-0
Next BZZT - this deck takes its time so stay tuned-
Vs R38 Boros Vehicles it appears... not the best matchup

Last edited by Cucho Lambreta on Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:20 pm 

Ok, trying Nomad’s list now. It plays fine vs AI but I’m leery of these ultra low to the ground builds. My experience with them is usually win fast or go home.

Game 1 vs R31 Sultai Control: Lose!
We got close... My opp did nothing for 4 turns and then played Bounty of the Luxa. Alas my starting hand was 3 land, 2 Push, Never, and Haunted. I topped a Reaver t2 so I got a few pecks in but my game didn’t start till t4 either. After he played Luxa I didn’t have anything better to do than play Bonepicker. I knew he was prolly about to sweep but figured it was better to take the chance and try to rush before Luxa gave him too much CA. He happily Languishes. I have Amalgam and the three removal spells and top Concoction. I play Concoction and pass. He plays big Lili, makes a token and plays Simic Nissa x=3 and scries. I use his attack step to Return Haunted (-Push and Amalgam) and Push the token. Next turn I Never Lili, and possibly misplay by killing Nissa (hard to say. She’s not the most impactful PW but in general I prefer to clear PWs unless I’m very close to lethal). He plays Herald of Anguish but I toss a land I drew last turn to Concoction before his eot effect. I top another land (which I hold for Haunted fodder) and swing big taking him to 7 and then play Return. He better draw good or I got him next turn. He plays little Lili, Murklurker, and Rec Sage and taked out my spirit token. I draw my other Amalgam and swing at him and he has just enough mana left over to Lifelink his Sage. He trades Sage for Haunted(?!) and blocks Amalgam. No net loss for him. Then he plays Tamiyo and Lili-shrinks Amalgam and lifelinks his Lurker. I wait for his combat step to activate Haunted but make the mistake of waiting for him to declare attackers first. He starts to but changes mind and it skips to his second main which he passes. I don’t have any opportunity to activate Haunted till his eot which is too late to bring the other Prized back! Dunno if it would have mattered much. At this point I need removal for Lurker but just draw more land. He draws and plays more creeps and I lose the ability to push damage through. I chicken out and quit the turn before he ults BOTH walkers.

Game 2 vs R20 White Weenies: Win!
Second with 3 land, Cryptbreaker, Reaver, Lili, and SNS. Opp plays Cliffside Lookout. I draw a 2nd Reaver and play one. He swings and passes. I draw Bone Picker, swing, and play Reaver and Cryptbreaker. I just hope he doesn’t have much first strike... He swings and plays Knight of the White Orchid. Poop. I top Push. Sweet! Push, swing, Bone Picker. He plays Dusk, killing Picker and then swings. His combat math capabilities are lacking. I draw Smugglers, swing, and play Lili. He swings and I take the point of damage instead of risking a combat trick while tapped out. Then he plays Consul Lieutenant and Thalia. Hmm. I top another Push. Awesome! I play Smuggy and pass without attacking. He swings with all. I crew the copter and block Lieutenant. He uses Lookout to pump his board (forgot about that). I decide Pushing Thalia is more important than rescuing Smuggy so I let it die and nuke Thalia. Opp drops a second Lookout post combat. I top land and send everything but Cryptbreaker over. He chumps a Reaver and goes to 4. I minus Lili to get it back and pass. He tops Declaration and takes out my Drones and then swings with both at Lili (does he understand defense at all?!) I let her go and discard the land to Cryptbreaker and take him out next turn.

Game 3 vs Mardu Friends: Lose!
I’m first and mull a no lander into 2 land, Wanderer, SNS, Key, Bontu, and Never. I play Wanderer, he drops land. I top Concoction, swing, and play Key. Opp Declares my Wanderer is actually a clue and I cannot argue. Fortunately I top a Reaver and play it and Concoction. Opp passes and then Lightning Axe after I lost the point of life. I respond with SNS and play the Cryptbreaker I just drew. Opp plays Little Lili and kills Reaver dead. I top a land and Never Lili and ssing for the last point of damage I get to do. Opp plays Chandra, Torch and nukes Cryptbreaker. I top Bone Picker and crack the clue, looking for land. I get Concoction instead. He plusses and passes. I top Smugglers and play it. He plusses and passes. I top Never and decide to use it rather than risk having Smuggy get nuked. He retaliates with Cast Out on the copter and then drops Big Chandra. GG. I play Bontu but don’t have any way to attack with him. I get a land a turn later but am already almost dead from those tokens and can just delay the inevitable an extra turn.

Rough run, Nomad. If I had had a draw like the second AI game vs that last deck, I think I would have given him a tough game but the shuffler was not so kind.

Last edited by TheFlakyMage on Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 227 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next