It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:09 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:07 pm 

I have a question on the redirection ability for Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo (his tap ability). I guess, what sources can I choose to redirect the damage? Does it work in these scenarios:

I cast Searing Spear on a Goblin Arsonist.
Case 1 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability, choosing Goblin Arsonist while Searing Spear is on the stack
Case 2 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability, choosing Goblin Arsonist while Goblin Arsonist is in the graveyard and it's damage is on the stack

My opponent uses Flickerwisp to blink his Flametongue Kavu.
Case 3 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability during the next end step, choosing Flametongue Kavu in exile while Flametongue Kavu's return to the battlefield trigger is on the stack
Case 4 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability during the next end step, choosing Flametongue Kavu after it entered the battlefield while Flametongue Kavu's ETB damage trigger is on the stack

I guess I'm just confused about the "source of your choice" text. It would seem like it is more than permanents (like I could redirect damage from spells too). Does it extend to choosing things in a graveyard or exile zone? Then if the card undergoes a zone change, is the chosen source still remembered or is it like targeting a permanent and the ability is essentially countered because there isn't a legal target anymore (what I attempted to describe as Case 1 above)?

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Rules Q&A
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:01 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
In the situation of Searing Spear and Arsonist:
If you target Searing Spear, Opal-Eye takes 3 and your Asonist lives.
If you choose the Arsonist trigger, Opal-Eye takes 1.
If you choose Arsonist HIMSELF while spear is on the stack, Arsonist dies and the target of the Arsonist trigger takes 1 damage.

case 3- You cannot choose flametounge in exile. However, once Flametounge re-enters play, you can choose his trigger to deal damage to redirect to Opal-Eye.

The source of the damage is the trigger, not the creature that creates the Trigger. If I remember right.
Opal-Eye can redirect damage from ANYTHING that would deal damage - a spell, an ability activated by say Prodigal Pyromancer or a trigger from Flametounge Kavu.

Actually, I think I am wrong on one part - you can choose Flametounge Kavu to prevent his damage once he is in play, since he is the one dealing the damage. The important thing to remember that if a card changes zones, it stops being the card it "was," and becomes a new creature again.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Rules Q&A
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:12 pm 

I have a question on the redirection ability for Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo (his tap ability). I guess, what sources can I choose to redirect the damage? Does it work in these scenarios:

I cast Searing Spear on a Goblin Arsonist.
Case 1 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability, choosing Goblin Arsonist while Searing Spear is on the stack
Case 2 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability, choosing Goblin Arsonist while Goblin Arsonist is in the graveyard and it's damage is on the stack

My opponent uses Flickerwisp to blink his Flametongue Kavu.
Case 3 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability during the next end step, choosing Flametongue Kavu in exile while Flametongue Kavu's return to the battlefield trigger is on the stack
Case 4 - Activate Opal-Eye, Konda's Yojimbo's tap ability during the next end step, choosing Flametongue Kavu after it entered the battlefield while Flametongue Kavu's ETB damage trigger is on the stack

I guess I'm just confused about the "source of your choice" text. It would seem like it is more than permanents (like I could redirect damage from spells too). Does it extend to choosing things in a graveyard or exile zone? Then if the card undergoes a zone change, is the chosen source still remembered or is it like targeting a permanent and the ability is essentially countered because there isn't a legal target anymore (what I attempted to describe as Case 1 above)?

I asked a similar question because I wasn't sure
http://community.wizards.com/forum/rule ... ds/4075076

You can choose from any zone and zone changes don't effect the source you've chosen

Like this post