It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:21 am 

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:27 am 

I'm torn between love and hate of this card frame and text box. On the one hand, this definitely LOOKS like a scroll that you're reading, and I love the Phyrexian watermark. On the other hand, have the rules text on the side and the type on the bottom is a huge departure for a standard card, and the text is still small despite this clever use of the space. At least it'll be visible all along the side in the hand, so shouldn't be terribly hard to keep track while playing.

As for the card itself; "You have one turn until Damnation, and then I get to keep a creature unless you kill it."

Also, it's a weird "ultimate" (and it definitely feels like an unavoidable Planeswalker ultimate) in the sense that the big part comes in the middle, not the end, but it is at least "you have 1 turn to use those creatures in the graveyard, then they're gone", and it's a nice way fora single card to do a lot of stuff.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:04 am 

Well that's... Ugly as sin.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:11 am 

Eh, I kinda like it.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:26 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
This (IMHO) is actually really goddamn awesome.
The level of medium-story-mechanics integration here approaches undertale's fight system. And I thought Sagas will be uncool cause "Come on, history doesn't work that way !" This frame really hammers that, in a multiverse of MTG, it can work that way.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:38 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I was imagining these looking like level up creatures, but this is way more interesting. I wonder if the watermark is a special thing for this card specifically. Most of the other sagas don't really have obvious watermark options.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:58 am 

This is great. I love the light scroll-like touch others have mentioned and that it gestures vaguely at the history it's referencing without bogging itself down in unnecessary flavor detail. If you don't care about the lore, this is just a fun-looking card, and if you are interested in the tidbits it offers even the name itself is a direct reference you can search out.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:23 pm 

wizards needs to stop **** with the card frames. so tacky

also wasnt one of their things that subtypes have no rules baggage? way to 180 boys. does this mean we get "legend" back (not serious)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:09 pm 

For those interested in reading the scriptures:

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

I guess the watermarks for each saga will be custom art, since there is no Benalia symbol currently in use, for example, so they will make something just for the History of Benalia card

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:23 pm 

My first reaction is that the setup is pretty damn ugly.
My second is that the art should have been full bleed, like a Planeswalker, extended under the text box
I like the visual reference to the Dark Ritual with Phyrexian Scriptures flavor text on it though, the watermark, and the fact that there's vertical Phyrexian text n the art. I wonder if it says anything, possibly the old scriptures flavor texts?
I just realized how well this synergizes with Fall of the Thran. If you start Fall one turn after, you can stack the triggers so your opponents get no land back. Praise Yawgmoth.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:33 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
My second is that the art should have been full bleed, like a Planeswalker, extended under the text box

Nitpick: Full-bleed refers to when art goes to the physical edge of the card, with no border. AFAIK this has only been done in Unstable with its basic lands, contraptions, and augment/host creatures. I don't know if there's a good term for what you're describing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:43 pm 

Sagas trigger when they enter the graveyard, right? ;)

Edit: I look forward to the art with different compositional space.

Last edited by Knifethrower on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:44 pm 

I like this except for the bone-white text box. I feel it should be yellowed or off white. Even the text boxes on Savannah Lions isn't that white.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:47 pm 

Yes the text box should have been a parchment scroll laid overlapping the art.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:00 pm 

Butthead wrote:
also wasnt one of their things that subtypes have no rules baggage? way to 180 boys. does this mean we get "legend" back (not serious)
Lots of subtypes have rules baggage. Auras, Equipment, every basic land type. They didn't want creature subtypes with rules baggage.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:25 pm 

Go go gadget skull of orm!

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:37 am 

astarael7 wrote:
Butthead wrote:
Lots of subtypes have rules baggage. Auras, Equipment, every basic land type. They didn't want creature subtypes with rules baggage.

Equipment doesnt have any inherent rules baggage i thought
And auras i thought were handled by the enchant keyword

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
If an aura stop being an aura or equipment stops being an equipment it falls off I think

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:40 pm 

This plus Hex Parasite is like forever wrath right?

Like this post