It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: M:EM Love Letter retheme
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:46 pm 

Identity: Human
So, for completely separate reasons, I've got Love Letter's many rethemes on my mind, and I got to thinking, "hey, what would an M:EM retheme of Love Letter look like?"

For those unfamiliar with it, allow me to explain Love Letter to you.

The "vanilla" version of this game is for 2-4 players and has a grand total of 16 cards (and 13 "tokens of affection" to track score). The goal is to get your letter of love delivered to the princess.The cards represent characters, such as the king or a priest, who you will get to deliver your letter to the princess.

Each player has a hand of 1 card, and on their turn a player will draw 1 card and then discard one card, using that discarded card's effect (if they can). Some cards effects can knock someone out of a round. If only one player is left, they win the round. If more than one player remains when the deck runs out, then everyone reveals the card they have, and the highest numbered card wins.

The characters, their numerical values, and their effects are as follows:
Value | Character | Number of copies | Effect
1 | Guard | 5 | Choose another player, and guess what number (other than 1) they have. If you're correct, that player is out of the round.
2 | Priest | 2 | Look at another player's hand.
3 | Baron | 2 | Compare hands with another player. Whoever has the higher number is out of the round.
4 | Handmaiden | 2 | You are protected from other players' effects until your next turn.
5 | Prince | 2 | Choose any player (including yourself). They discard their current hand and draw a new card.
6 | King | 1 | Trade hands with another player.
7 | Countess | 1 | If you have the King or the Princess, you must discard the Countess.
8 | Princess | 1 | If you discard the Princess, for any reason, you are out of the round.

So, what characters of the M:EM do you think would fit in these roles? What would the goal be?

My first instinct is to have Beryl and Aloise involved in some way. Like, maybe the goal is, there could be two 8 cards (either Beryl or Aloise), but you only play with one at a time, and that's who you're helping deliver a love letter (or plan a party, or whatever you think those two would get up to).

My off-the-cuff idea:
1 -
2 - The Wanderer
3 - Fisco Vane - the "who has the higher hand" thing feels right for The Shark to me.
4 -
5 -
6 - Nasperge - the "trickery" angle of swapping cards fits him, I feel, and he would absolutely help Moira's daughter as a favor for her.
7 - Ursalyn
8 - Either Beryl or Aloise

That's all I've got right now. I'm sad to say that I can't think of other characters that Beryl and Aloise have interacted with (Astria and The Shifter are far too antagonistic to include in a "deliver a love letter/plan a party" game).

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:05 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Alessa, Daneera and Kerik all met Beryl and/or Aloise in or out of canon. Alessa's precognition might make her a good Handmaiden (just don't say that to her face), and Kerik's transformation would allow him a few Prince-like attacks. Dunno about Daneera as a guard, though.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:57 am 

You'd only want to go with Alessa if we're talking Beryl. I've long held that Alessa would probably froth at the mouth and commit unspeakable acts if put near Aloise for an extended amount of time.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 4:27 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
I can see that, they have slightly divergent visions of the world :D But as long as Alessa just has to deliver a message it should be fine.

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post