It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:26 pm 

Hello, my friends!

I hinted a couple of weeks ago that I was planning the long-awaited next installment of the continuing adventure of everybody's favorite little foul-mouth Kithkin, and now, I am pleased to bring you precisely that!

If you have not yet read Orida Vise's first story, "Whisperweft," I suggest you do so before enjoying this, her second story, as it will inform you on who she is, what she does, and where she is at the end of that tale. This story picks up essentially where that one leaves off.

As with Orida's previous story, this one has a great deal of cursing in it. Because swearing (and circumventing the profanity filter) are disallowed on this forum, this version of the story will have a great many "****"s in it. If you would prefer to read the uncensored version, and feel you are old and mature enough to handle it, here is a link to a google docs version: Souls of the Unshriven.

I would like to give a quick thanks to Tevish Szat for his help, both direct and indirect, regarding Ythol. Thanks, Tevish!

I know we're approaching the holidays and everyone has stuff going on, so if you can't get to this one right away, or at all, I totally understand. As always, comments are greatly appreciated, but also as always, don't feel like there's any particular hurry.

Enjoy!

Souls of the Unshriven

Last edited by RavenoftheBlack on Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 pm 

Orida's disorientation is an interesting motif. On the whole, this story reminds me of The Dark with touchstones like Inquisition and Martyr's Cry (if it were based in the Church of Tal, at least). It's not a theme we see much any more; the Orzhov come close, but they never really reach the same level of persecution.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:26 pm 

Thanks for reading, Tevish! I appreciate it.

Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 11:53 pm 

Spoiler

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:04 pm 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Nice! I had assumed it was a festivity-related piece and boy I was wrong :D

Spoiler

Thank you for sharing!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm 

Nice!

Thanks! And thanks for reading.

Spoiler

Thank you for sharing!
And thanks again for reading and for commenting!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 11:24 pm 

Oh, how do I love Orida Vise? Let me count the ****ing ways...

:D

Seriously, I love this story. Thank you so much for sharing, Raven!

Orida has sort of sneakily become of my favorite characters, so it's great to see her again, and back on a habitable plane! Now that she's back in the non-dying portion of the Multiverse, I have this strange suspicion that the mischief has just begun... :)

As for the story itself, I particularly love the depiction of the Rag Man -- not only is it a cool sort of callback to the namesake card, but I just love the descriptions in the story -- the otherworldliness of it, the collective voice, the kind of grotesque physicality, even. And the twist was one which I didn't see coming.

There have been a lot of references to classic drama around these parts, lately, and, as I was reading, I couldn't help but think of "The Crucible," and how that atmosphere of persecution can just sort of hang over a small town, until it practically drives the oxygen out of the air, and everyone suffocates beneath its weight. Mercifully, in Haltung -- unlike in Salem -- it's the good guys who win out in the end. And I think that Orida can safely be counted among "the good guys" at this point -- as much as she might chafe at that categorization. :)

Anyway, I'm interested to see what Orida gets herself up to on Dammerdall -- although, admittedly, I'd be interested to see what Orida gets herself up to anywhere! :)

Him being a leatherworker is very convenient, isn't it? :D

Yes. Yes it is.

This was mostly Orcish's fault. I'm pretty sure he was the first one to suggest that Orida would have a leather holster for the Doom Clapper in the non-canon Jackie/Orida piece he wrote. It seemed like a good idea, so I just decided to make Ladislaus a leatherworker for simplicity's sake.

Oh, man, I go back to that piece over, and over, and over. It's one of my favorite non-canon things I've done, and I still haven't quite managed to rid myself of the idea that Orida and Jackie might cross paths one of these days. It was just too much fun hearing them talk.

Come to think of it, the Orida/Beryl/Aloise piece I did is another one of my very favorite non-canon pieces... I guess I just like writing for Orida! :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:15 pm 

Oh, how do I love Orida Vise? Let me count the ****ing ways...

****ing one, ****ing two, ghostdamn three...

:)

Seriously, I love this story. Thank you so much for sharing, Raven!

And thank you for reading!

Orida has sort of sneakily become of my favorite characters, so it's great to see her again, and back on a habitable plane! Now that she's back in the non-dying portion of the Multiverse, I have this strange suspicion that the mischief has just begun... :)

That's good, because I vaguely remember in Orida's first story you saying something kind of sort of exactly like this:
The crazy thing about this is... I don't think I actually care for Orida that much?

But don't worry. I don't think Orida's the type to hold grudges. :huh: Okay, she's exactly the type to hold grudges...

In all seriousness, I'm glad you like her. But I'm sure that now Orida's safely off Ythol and free of her troubles in Haltung, I'm sure it's smooth sailing. After all, what would Orida ever do or say that might tarnish her reputation?

:paranoid:

As for the story itself, I particularly love the depiction of the Rag Man -- not only is it a cool sort of callback to the namesake card, but I just love the descriptions in the story -- the otherworldliness of it, the collective voice, the kind of grotesque physicality, even. And the twist was one which I didn't see coming.

Thanks! I know my interpretation of the Rag Man is a bit different from the original, but once I thought of the idea and the way Orida would interact with a strange gestalt spirit creature like it, I had to write it. Don't be too surprised if, somewhere down the line, Orida learns to summon a Rag Man from locale spirits, giving temporary form to the spirits with which she speaks.

This story mostly came about because I came across the word "shrive" in something I was doing. Now, I've known that word forever, but for whatever reason, it and the concept behind it really stuck out to me, and made me think of Orida and what sort of interaction Orida would have with unshriven souls. Funnily, when I first plotted out this story, it was pretty much as it appears now, but was not set on Dammerdall. Then, when I was about to sit down and start writing it, I realized just how perfectly Dammerdall fit into what I was planning to do anyway, so here we are!

There have been a lot of references to classic drama around these parts, lately, and, as I was reading, I couldn't help but think of "The Crucible," and how that atmosphere of persecution can just sort of hang over a small town, until it practically drives the oxygen out of the air, and everyone suffocates beneath its weight. Mercifully, in Haltung -- unlike in Salem -- it's the good guys who win out in the end. And I think that Orida can safely be counted among "the good guys" at this point -- as much as she might chafe at that categorization. :)

One of the things I really like about Orida is that in general I agree that she's leaning to the "good guy" side of things, but at the same time, she feels like she's just one or two specific motivations away from crossing that line. I don't know if know yet what that motivation/those motivations are, but something about Orida tells me they're there. Time, perhaps, will tell.

Anyway, I'm interested to see what Orida gets herself up to on Dammerdall -- although, admittedly, I'd be interested to see what Orida gets herself up to anywhere! :)

Me, too! I don't know when the next installment of Orida Vise: The Legendary Journeys will appear, nor even who will write it, but I look forward to it!

Him being a leatherworker is very convenient, isn't it? :D

Yes. Yes it is.

This was mostly Orcish's fault. I'm pretty sure he was the first one to suggest that Orida would have a leather holster for the Doom Clapper in the non-canon Jackie/Orida piece he wrote. It seemed like a good idea, so I just decided to make Ladislaus a leatherworker for simplicity's sake.

Oh, man, I go back to that piece over, and over, and over. It's one of my favorite non-canon things I've done, and I still haven't quite managed to rid myself of the idea that Orida and Jackie might cross paths one of these days. It was just too much fun hearing them talk.

Come to think of it, the Orida/Beryl/Aloise piece I did is another one of my very favorite non-canon pieces... I guess I just like writing for Orida! :D

They're both really good pieces! And yes, I can attest that Orida is a lot of fun to write for!

Thanks for reading and commenting, Orcish!

Like this post