It is currently Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 372, 373, 374, 375, 376  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:57 am 

TPmanW wrote:
On a related, but perhaps contradictory note, anybody else play in the prerelease?

Missed this wuestion the first time, but I actually did. Prereleases are, along with EDH, my continued connection to live, canon M:tG.

I played Dimir, but got fairly little Surveil to feed my triggers. Still, my blue and black were both alright with workhorses like Capture Sphere. I almost ditched it, though, since I pulled a Vraska and Nullhide Ferrox, dragging me towards Golgari. In the end, I did what I could with Dimir.

Round 1, I played against Golgari and won a VERY grindy match. I think in game 2, my opponent had literally 5 cards (and no wincons) left in his deck by the time Dimir Spybug finished it
Round 2, I played against another Golgari player and managed to get to late game, but didn't really have anything to capitalize on that. All my creatures were 2 and 3 cost except for a single "surveil when it dies" sphinx and a lot of them had defender, so while my removal wanted me to grind, I couldn't really gum my opponents to death like that
Round 3, I was paired against a fellow Dimir player... whose record was 0-2 so in a moment of collusion worthy of the Guild that Doesn't Exist he conceded the match letting me have a shot at packs (which at this small, 4-round prerelease, would follow for 3 wins or better)
Round 4, I faced yet another Golgari deck and got blown out game 1 by Ritual of Soot. Game 2 went a little better but I just didn't have the quality on board to push through.

Lesson Learned: Next time, play the deck that has game-ending plays like Ferrox and double Arboretum Elemental, not the one that's relying on Darkblade Agents to get to 20 damage.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:45 pm 

Identity: Male
Barinellos wrote:
And I'm experimenting somewhat with style. Both in the figurative and literal sense. I need to figure out if this works or if it would be nauseating to read. Stylistically, it's a thematic choice. It's a direct visual metaphor of asynchronous speech.

Although background colour might have an impact here. I wouldn't do it on white.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:59 am 

Identity: Human
Barinellos wrote:
And I'm experimenting somewhat with style. Both in the figurative and literal sense. I need to figure out if this works or if it would be nauseating to read.

Yes.

Quoth the Raven, for truth.
Know your roots.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:11 am 

@Tevish -- It's so exciting to hear that your novel projects are going so well! I know they're both going to be great, and I can't wait to see the finished products!

A second-to-main reason is that I've been planning a huge road trip, to take place in the second half of this month. My wife and I will be driving to Salem, Mass. by way of Seattle and Chicago, then back by way of Houston, Tx. I could share the planned route should anyone want to potentially meet up as we go along our way. That's actually consumed a lot of my creative effort.

Definitely let me know when and where you're going to be in Massachusetts! Assuming the stars align, I would be delighted to buy you and Mrs. Tevish a drink!

Yeah, I'm the same way. I've basically had to remove myself from canon Magic because, quite frankly, I just don't enjoy it anymore.

That happened to me a few years back, I think before Tarkir block even. I hope that doesn't mean you'll wander off; I know I'm only around infrequently anymore but I just love all you guys too much to go even when I haven't been watching Magic for ages now.

Weirdly, I'm more up-to-speed on canon Magic than I've been for years, thanks in large part to my increasingly motley assortment of side hustles. Now that I've fallen-in with the cosplay crowd at GPs, everyone's always watching each new spoiler season like a hawk, looking for new characters and costumes to make. (I'm trying to put together something Dimir by the end of the year, fingers crossed...) And I'm working on a satirical newsletter along with a couple of other like-minded knuckleheads I met back at GP Seattle, so I have to keep tabs on the official story and settings so that I know what we're sending-up. :D

TPmanW wrote:
On a related, but perhaps contradictory note, anybody else play in the prerelease?

Sadly not. I actually really wanted to make this one, but the weekend didn't cooperate. :(

Barinellos wrote:
Beyond that, I regret to inform you all that this story will prominently feature a feature which many have expressed consternation with. A framing device that necessitates a flashback. But further... there are flashbacks within the flashbacks.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind flashbacks?

Flashback away, my good sir! :)

Ironically or coincidentally, I am also just over 5k words on a piece that has some heavy Celtic influences. It's shaping up to be a long one, so it'll be a while before it's ready, but I'm excited about it.

For some reason, this makes me think of a line from Nero Wolfe: "In a world operating largely at random, coincidences are inevitable, but each one must be mistrusted."

Brentain wrote:
I threw up for the fourth time this morning just before hitting this post, so I might not be the best judge, but it's not exactly easy to read.

Ugh, not you, too. :( I'm really sorry to hear that, Brentain, and hope you feel much better real soon.

The weather here has been whipsawing from summer-like to fall-like and back again for the last couple weeks, and something about that constant variation in temperature and humidity just plays absolute hell with my immune system. I woke up this morning and could feel the sickness coming on. Which sucks because I had ambitions to do some writing today, but we'll see if my body cooperates...

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:10 pm 

Identity: Human
I keep letting things pass me by. I've become so scatterbrained lately. Feel well, everyone, yeah? I'm sorry I can't offer anything else to those sick and down other than a few words.

A second-to-main reason is that I've been planning a huge road trip, to take place in the second half of this month. My wife and I will be driving to Salem, Mass. by way of Seattle and Chicago, then back by way of Houston, Tx. I could share the planned route should anyone want to potentially meet up as we go along our way. That's actually consumed a lot of my creative effort.

Hrm... I don't know if I'd be able to go all the way out to Houston without an extended warning (and I do not know the Houston area anyway), but if you end up passing through the greater Dallas area on your way back, and I'd love to get to meet you since our meeting this Spring didn't happen. I'll see if I can treat you to something while you're here.

Barinellos wrote:
Beyond that, I regret to inform you all that this story will prominently feature a feature which many have expressed consternation with. A framing device that necessitates a flashback. But further... there are flashbacks within the flashbacks.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't mind flashbacks?

Flashback away, my good sir! :)[/quote]
Yeah, I don't recall anyone here saying flashbacks are a bad thing. I've certainly never seen any criticism of a flashback that has stuck with me. Like any narrative device, it comes down to how you use it. I imagine you're worried because you've seen a lot of lesser writers abuse it (I am led to believe flashbacks are common in the superhero comics genre), but again, it comes down to how you use it and I don't remember anyone here ever saying that flashbacks are a bad thing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:38 pm 

The common complaint in many literary circles is that flashbacks are an unnecessary device and that stories should start when the story is most relevant. I wouldn't say that we have a negative culture about it, but many critics are rather strenuously against the use of flashbacks, in so far as they're used following an introduction.

So maybe the criticism is more applied to the flash forward as a framing device in regards to introductions.
But there again, we wouldn't have such classics like Sunset Blvd. If we eschewed such framing.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:12 am 

I started playing Magic during Odyssey block, so I'm fond of flashback.

Joking aside, it really is in the handling. You are right that the story should start where it's relevant, but that is not always the earliest point in the story.

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:52 pm 

I once wrote out part of a story that used a flash forward framing device. But then the characters changed slightly, and that ending will never have happened. Which is a shame, because I liked it. Then again, the part I like most could be applied to something else sometime...

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:39 pm 

According to the Index page, Happy Birthday, Barinellos! I hope you're having a splendiferous day!

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:46 am 

Much appreciated Raven.
It was indeed the anniversary of my advent.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:58 am 

Identity: Inertially male
Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Happy Birthday!

To anybody reading this, including my future selves: have a good life!

My M:EM creative archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:21 am 

my ego sig

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:05 pm 

Happy (belated I think) Birthday!

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 pm 

Identity: Male
Happy (belated probably) Birthday Barinellos!

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:16 pm 

Appreciated everybody.

So, what I'd like for my birthday is...
A story from the archives with an unambiguously happy and public ending.

... I need the answer for a story I've nearly hammered out. (unrelated to the other I've nearly finished)

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:21 am 

Paid in Full comes to mind.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:20 pm 

For an even simpler take, Erik and the Wishmonger is completely unambiguous, and self-contained.

Instinct fits pretty well, too, though it leaves a thread dangling to be wrapped up later. I'm tempted to say Shell-Shocked, too, though certain of my relatives and acquaintances might disagree. Winds of Change would be, except that the story doesn't end there. Rest for the Wicked is a nice wrap-up to a storyline with other great moments, notably Stare Down the Basilisk. Zachari Lavar, The Good Pontiff is unusually upbeat for a Ravnica story. The Guiding Light refers to a calamity, but lands on a positive note. In the Palace of the Emperor barely even touches on the darkness of its world. The Hermit's Burden offers all the brightness Aloise can muster. And though it's not in the archives yet, 36 Hours touches on the positive aspects of a fascist society.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 pm 

Barinellos wrote:
Appreciated everybody.

... I need the answer for a story I've nearly hammered out. (unrelated to the other I've nearly finished)

I have a novel suggestion...

How about any of the battles for the planes of the Wheel? The Battle of Axe Blade Ridge on Kokkinos, The Siege of Yyrn on Lefkos, the Battle of the Inkswell on Mavros, all of them would be "happy" endings that would be publicly known.

Besides that, "Pariah" might work, although I wouldn't call it "unambiguously" happy, even if Lukrin would disagree. "To Call the World to Heel" might work, and maybe "The World at Dawn."

All of Tevish's Ravnica stories...should maybe be avoided for this...

:paranoid:

:D

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:36 pm 

Ack -- happy (very) belated birthday to our good Barin! I hope that you were treated to the cake of your choice!

Barinellos wrote:

Hrm...

Does it need to be an ending which hasn't subsequently been explored further? Because I'd say that "A Bet on Kindness," "Foxtrot," and "The Sailor and the Siren" all have unambiguously happy endings, for example, but then of course there are more stories which take place after each of them. So they're endings for that particular story, but they're not The End, if that distinction matters?

Well, flu season came early to Boston (boo...), and Mrs. OL and I have been alternating being sick all week. She took the brunt of it, unfortunately, but we're finally starting to both feel better. I dragged my sorry carcass into work anyway, because I'm an idiot. (Probably would have gotten better more quickly if I'd taken more time to rest, but, then again, see above idiot problem...)

On a happier note, I did a thing! I think I mentioned a while back that I started doing a satirical newsletter with some people that I met back at GP Seattle, which has been running on the Card Kingdom blog. So, back in September, I pitched the idea to maybe do some Innistrad fiction for October as well, and our editor took me up on it. Anyway, long story short, the first piece came out today: https://blog.cardkingdom.com/scenes-from-the-multiverse-black-cat/. And I'm hoping that there turns out to be an audience for it, because, if so, hopefully that means even more MTG fiction on the Card Kingdom blog! :dance:

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:40 am 

Wow. Not only is that a great opportunity, it is a very good story. I like the subtlety both in its connection to Innistrad and the actual build of the tension. If that doesn't find an audience, it's because people are fools, not by any fault of the concept or the writing.

my ego sig

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7502 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 372, 373, 374, 375, 376  Next