It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 284  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:12 pm 

An interview that gives some insights into the story:

https://www.mtgsalvation.com/articles/4 ... ison-luhrs

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:54 pm 

I love it when we can actually hear from the creative team in the same way we hear from the design team. Hearing that the Ixalan story was structured as a farce really crystallized for me why I found it so effective and enjoyable. I also really liked the explicit confirmation that this was a deliberate rescue of Jace from the pit of bad feeling he's been in for a while now.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:59 am 

astarael7 wrote:
I love it when we can actually hear from the creative team in the same way we hear from the design team. Hearing that the Ixalan story was structured as a farce really crystallized for me why I found it so effective and enjoyable. I also really liked the explicit confirmation that this was a deliberate rescue of Jace from the pit of bad feeling he's been in for a while now.

Hopefully this means they won't repeat the Jace losing memories theme again, and he'll actually be a somewhat competent mind-mage from now on, if one held back by ethical scruples.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:13 am 

Quote:
wizardsmagic said:

Magic Story resumes tomorrow, with our first installment of Dominaria stories by Martha Wells!

Who’s excited???

Art by Chris Rallis
#mtg#Magic Story#magic the gathering#MTGDOM#Dominaria#and so it begins

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:51 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I love that artwork.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:31 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): RETURN TO DOMINARIA: EPISODE 1

This week's episode comes with a sweet map!

Spoiler

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:10 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
Incredible

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:43 pm 

So the Cabal are our antagonist, and Caligo forest is in Benalia. Neat.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:47 pm 

This was very good. I like the chapter breaks to let us shift perspectives across what I'm sure is going to be a fairly complicated set of parallel plots.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:40 pm 

Oh that was cathartic to see Nissa throw a tantrum and piss off. Let her stay gone.

I quite enjoyed the dynamic between Gideon and Liliana. I really think we'll get to see a great deal of character growth from both of them.

Belzenlok taking over the cabal suddenly makes a ton of sense. His ego is apparently so needy that he has to be ALL the legends.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 1:09 am 

*Looks at map...*

So THAT's why Ancestral Recall is so powerful. There's enough blue mana in dominaria to turn intercontinential wars into countermagic fiestas!

Sorry...

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:18 am 

Identity: Able of Reproduce
Preferred Pronoun Set: Call me whatever; I find it enlightening
Kudos to Wells for layering the past so well in the story. Often in stories involving "the past," that past is only a singular time. Here, in Benalia, it is well presented that Liliana's youth was considered a time long ago enough to have legends about it, but that the Thran was way before even her time. Yes, the overall storyline developed in a way to be a developing history over ages, but I'm talking about presentation here.

I also liked how she jammed so many flavor nods to long-time Vorthos without being overly ham-fisted about it so that even newer readers are aware of it. The Yawgmoth shoutout is clear as day to those who know, but could be easily be overlooked by someone not familiar with the material. However, she does point out to new readers some things to research if they want to, like Dakkon Blackblade. Essentially, she's writing in a way that allows varying degrees of investment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:04 am 

However, she does point out to new readers some things to research if they want to, like Dakkon Blackblade. Essentially, she's writing in a way that allows varying degrees of investment.

On that note I was sort of wracking my brain for a bit trying to remember which elder dragon he had killed only to give up and go check the wiki. Turns out it was Chromium's mate Piru, so not an elder dragon who had a card.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:21 am 

I'm kind of hoping Nissa sods off for good. Chandra, on the other hand, I'm fairly certain will be returning having called in the Jaya-shaped cavalry.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:46 am 

Nah, Nissa is going to go home and run smack into Nahiri and both of them are going to hash out some things about what happened on Zendikar and Innistrad and Ugin will be there and tell them both to grow up.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:26 pm 

I'm kind of hoping Nissa sods off for good. Chandra, on the other hand, I'm fairly certain will be returning having called in the Jaya-shaped cavalry.

I'd like to think it's the opposite and Jaya went to fetch her on Regatha.
Twould be hilarious if she never meant for anything like Keral Keep to happen.

Also, obviously Nissa should never return to the group.
She'll be back for the inevitable return to Zendikar, but maybe they got the message of how disliked she is.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:34 pm 

For some reason that I might have missed, we get another UR today?

Today's UR (Magic Story): Return to Dominaria: Episode 2

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:54 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
I'm really enjoying these stories and the characterizations. I'm also enjoying the slight shift we're seeing in Gideon as he feels way more tactical than before. He's willing to make compromises by helping Liliana if it means achieving the end goal. I also really like the way that Liliana is being emotionally compromised by her return home as it makes her a lot more relateable to me. Don't get me wrong, I liked her as the sassy witch of the group but I also like seeing a different side to her. I must've missed it, but when did Gideon lose his surral?

My one big dislike isn't even with the writing. It sounds trivial but I *hate* the "the swamps are spreading!" thing they're pulling here. They did it in Mirrodin and it bothered me there too. I get it, black corrupts and spreads like a disease but why does no other colour seem to be able to really cope with this? I just feel like green, with it's love of the natural world would've had some druids or something who would've been like "death magic polluting my forest? I think not!" and would have cleansed it or something. Sorry, this is an old gripe. I remember reading the old Mirrodin books and in the last one the leonin were lamenting that the Mephidross had grown and eaten into their plains. I just sat there and wanted to know why they had no ability to purify or purge it. I was just getting into Magic's lore at that time and that whole bit just left me feeling like black was just stronger than the other colours and that the five weren't so balanced.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:11 pm 

Indeed, its TPF Gideon back.

As for the "corruption", that annoys me too. Its always corrupting things; the closest thing otherwise was the Order of Heliud's take over of Regatha, which felt a lot like mana truly going out of balance and consuming the world.

Hopefully Return to Ixalan will do the same with the Sun Empire, spreading their burning light over Torrezon's lands.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:15 pm 

On a side note, seeing overstep its bounds would be great. They almost did it in Shadows over Innistrad, where the angels really gave the impression that the world was tilting towards mana, fitting for all the chaos and insanity.

But then Emrakul.

My Patreon:

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5680 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 265, 266, 267, 268, 269, 270, 271 ... 284  Next