It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 6:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:33 am 

Identity: Goblin Piker
AzureShade wrote:

Well, now I know where I'm taking my multiclass Fighter/Sorcerer in the DND campaign I'm in.

I don't think gold in Ixalan is actually magical. I think treasure tokens in Ixalan and the mana you get is more metaphorical. You give the treasure to a ship mage to get some help casting a spell, or spend the treasure to get some reagent needed to cast your spell. Although it would be a cool callback to the Arena book if Ixalan treasure was condensed mana that people collected.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:03 pm 

Jman22 wrote:
AzureShade wrote:

Well, now I know where I'm taking my multiclass Fighter/Sorcerer in the DND campaign I'm in.

I don't think gold in Ixalan is actually magical. I think treasure tokens in Ixalan and the mana you get is more metaphorical. You give the treasure to a ship mage to get some help casting a spell, or spend the treasure to get some reagent needed to cast your spell. Although it would be a cool callback to the Arena book if Ixalan treasure was condensed mana that people collected.

I'm not saying gold in Ixalan is magical, that would be Theros, with the gold tokens. Ixalan specifically has treasure tokens rather than gold tokens, even though they do the same sacrifice for any color of mana thing. ;)

If we were to take such an idea overly seriously, rather than the more casual interpretation you offer, there might be a distinction between what the treasure appears to be made of and what it actually is, or a common cantrip level spell that basically consumes raw matter and turns it into magical energies relative to it's approximate value which is partially possible due to the specific planar phenomena of Ixalan, or possibly something Azor's heiromancy did imbuing certain meanings into the way magic interacts with things considered to be valuable. Perhaps it only applies to treasure found near the Immortal Sun, which had it's energies percolate into such things, or treasure that perhaps had it's raw materials originally conjured up magically by Azor while creating the golden city and such, and it's possible to reverse Azor's conjurations to create magical energy back out of it, because it's not real versions of the materials it appears to be.

Onto the new chapter, there is something oddly sad and bittersweet about it, like awakening from childhood to a cruel adult reality and finding both freedom and responsibility along the way. Vraska's going to be so disillusioned... and then probably have to have such erased from her mind because of Bolas being such a serious threat.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:11 pm 

Today's UR (Magic Story): The Arbiter of Law Left Chaos in His Wake

Quote:
Huatli and Tishana reach the Immortal Sun while Jace and Vraska discover the callousness of the sphinx who made it.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm 

I feel so bad for Azorius, even though he was a horrible self-righteous colonialist. Must be the cat allusions.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
"Bad Azor. Go sit in the corner and think of what you've done!"
Throughout these episodes I am consistently left unimpressed by the power of the immortal sun as its wielder consistently fails to fend off the new kind of the hill.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:19 pm 

Given how cold jace and ugin were to each other on zenzikar, I was not expecting ugin to manage to get on the good side of at least 2 somewhat self absorbed walkers.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:47 pm 

Best use of heiromancy ever. (Both Jace & Azor.) I really love the Ravnican brand of law-magic.

Am I correct in inferring that all heiromancy on Ravnica is actually variations on Azor's heiromancy, since it all rests on or flows from the Guildpact?

So much interesting info in the last two stories. Can't wait for next week.
Spoiler

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:50 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
Ugin, why do you keep screwing everything up? You solution to every multiversal problem can't be "Lock it up on a plane I, personally, don't care about."
You'd be surprised just how easy and readily that sort of solution can be for an Old 'Walker.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:59 pm 

astarael7 wrote:
Am I correct in inferring that all heiromancy on Ravnica is actually variations on Azor's heiromancy, since it all rests on or flows from the Guildpact?

That seems to be the implication.

It would be funny if Azor was the de facto inventor of hieromancy. He's already essentially the model of sphinx culture everywhere, so...

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:43 pm 

AzureShade wrote:
astarael7 wrote:
Ugin, why do you keep screwing everything up? You solution to every multiversal problem can't be "Lock it up on a plane I, personally, don't care about."
You'd be surprised just how easy and readily that sort of solution can be for an Old 'Walker.
I mean, I know, but oh boy have the last several years of stories really shown what a terrible solution that is.

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins."

"Remember, dear friends: when we announce something and you imagine it, the odds that we made exactly that thing are zero."---Kelly Digges

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:44 pm 

Azor wrote:
"I have been planning! If I am not able to continue to perfect the Multiverse, then I can still do it here—I can fix Ixalan!"

Jace wrote:
"You will be the master and caretaker of Useless Island. You will not be able to leave, and you will never meddle in the lives of sentient beings ever again. Leave the Immortal Sun here and depart with your life. As Living Guildpact, that is my decree."

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:26 am 

- LOLOL, Azor got Snoke-d. :V That's what you get for facing off with The "Face" of Magic: The Gathering, suckah! :V

- So Azor liked to create governments, this is somewhat a refreshing Oldwalker motivation.

- And surprise, surprise, another "New" Oldwaker that's a jerk, I'm still waiting for a new Oldwalker along the lines of Kristina, Daria, reformed!Taysir and Feroz... the more kinder ones.

Like, way to continue instilling that Oldwalker-ism only leads to insanity and jerk-ism eh? Is this a new thing that the Post-Mending Spark does? :wha:

Have we not Shill-ed enough for the Neowalkers enough already? :wha:

- So when will it be revealed that Marit Lage is buddies with Ugin and Azor? Ei, Creative... hullo~ :D

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 pm 

Identity: Chaoslight
Preferred Pronoun Set: She
When we return to dominaria

People, buy more stuff.
#WotCstaff
Spoiler

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:01 am 

So am I the only one who didn't get the sense that Azor felt ancient?
Because more than anything he kinda came across as a child to me.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:52 am 

Yeah, he seemed to have a very one-track mind and devolved from powerful lawmage to whiney teenager to sniveling child pretty quickly. I expected far more from planeswalker that has been the basis for law and governance across the multiverse for thousands of years, even one that's sort of been trapped in one spot for so long. I expected way more lawyer logic arguments from him, showing his full command of the law's structure.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 am 

To be fair being locked powerless on Ixalan on the assumption he was betrayed could have made him mentally unstable.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:04 am 

Old 'Walkers, by their nature, are mentally unstable. I was just expecting a much different sort of unstable.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:27 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: He/him/his
I too was expecting someone more calm and, well, regal than we got with Azor. Then again, he's used to walking in somewhere and declaring the law so perhaps he is not used to arguing. I was honestly a bit let down that Jace was able to so readily incapacitate him with mind magic. Azor was trying to trap Bolas, a telepath, with the help of Ugin, who also appears to be a telepath. Yet, the sphinx has zero ability to defend himself against telepathy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:06 pm 

Azor rather strongly reminded me of Dheginsea from Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, to the point where that was my mental voice for him: Stubborn perhaps due in part to age, extremely legalistic/orderly, well-intentioned but unable to conceive of human foibles and failings as something that needs to be accounted for, sees his own plan as flawless despite evidence to the contrary and blames all potential failings on others...

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:57 pm 

Empyreal wrote:
I too was expecting someone more calm and, well, regal than we got with Azor. Then again, he's used to walking in somewhere and declaring the law so perhaps he is not used to arguing. I was honestly a bit let down that Jace was able to so readily incapacitate him with mind magic. Azor was trying to trap Bolas, a telepath, with the help of Ugin, who also appears to be a telepath. Yet, the sphinx has zero ability to defend himself against telepathy.

I don't think it was that it was that Azor had no way to defend himself against telepathy, I think it is because he's a Parun of Ravnica and he is therefore bound to obey the Guildpact which is now Jace. He never thought to see that power turned against him.

Also keep in mind that Jace pretty much also told off Niv-Mizzet, who I think was testing the legitimacy of the new guildpact's power.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5712 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264, 265, 266 ... 286  Next