It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286  Next
 Post subject: Re: Uncharted Realms
PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:00 am 

INTERESTING NEW UPDATE from here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2018-10-09

"How do we keep everything straight? The Franchise team keeps a steady hand on the wheel, broadly offering story beats and frameworks for creative people to create. We've also started a partnership with Jay Annelli—a fan who just so happens to know Magic story inside and out—to help keep an eye on continuity. Jay knows his stuff and loves Magic story. It's always helpful to bring in more people who know the terrain."

That is Jay13x over at Twitter btw, a long time Vorthos who I encountered first in Salvation and has since been in a podcast with other like minded Vorthosi.

Hmmm... smells like a Werefrog no? It took them 85years.gif to finally relent over there in WOTC and have someone from the Community in for organization's sake. BLESSED SERRA for that. Now let's see in the coming years how this goes. :party:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:29 am 

Not that I'm not happy for him or anything, but I'm a seething mass of jealousy instead.
I used to work with that guy on salvation. I basically single handedly curated the wiki aside from this awful harpy that constantly undermined my efforts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:34 am 

I say 50/50 odds that his unofficial job title is going to be "Fall Guy" in the end. I'm no fan of retcons but is creative really going to be swayed by one mild complainer probably operating at the unpaid intern level?

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:52 am 

Did they sort out what URs are going to be like for th next year or so since they decided to actually print the full Ravnica story in book form this go around?

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:27 am 

On the unambiguously plus side the story will continue to visit worlds that will not get visited in the actual game.

My Patreon:
https://www.patreon.com/Carliro

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:41 pm 

So...this week's story.
Writing in present tense is a bad idea. Always.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:45 am 

Whoops, got bust and missed this.

Yesterday's UR (Magic Story): Under the Cover of Fog

Also: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/what-expect-magic-story-2018-10-09

Quote:

Magic's story is reaching for new heights with incredible authors, new story expressions, and more ways to experience the stories of Magic's worlds. We've got so much coming (and more yet to be announced) that we wanted to talk about the bigger picture for a moment—what we're doing and why we're doing it.

Over the years, Magic's stories have unfolded in a number of different ways: web fiction, novels, comic books, web comics, on cards and in videos, and even through the occasional blog post from one of our intrepid worldbuilders.

Just one world can fill books and stories for years, and we have dozens of rich worlds to explore. So why not let some of the most creative people in our world play around in them? Why not build a new professional talent pool to open up Magic's worlds even more? That's the philosophy we started with when we joined up with Martha Wells to tell the story of Dominaria and with Kate Elliott to introduce the Nicol Bolas origin story.

Opening our story to extremely talented writers also lets us tell stories we might not have in the past. Cassandra Khaw better introduced us to Vivien Reid in a three-part story that probably wouldn't have existed under our previous model of writing fiction. Nicky Drayden's stories, which begin tomorrow, explore corners and personalities of Ravnica that get overlooked by the Big Story that drives the main focus of the set.

Magic has a broad audience with broad tastes, so we're finding new ways to meet them where they read, exploring different lengths, different channels, and different tones while focusing on different characters and planes and even mediums.

Similarly, we have plans to tell stories in worlds our card sets aren't visiting. This means that we can revisit fan-favorite worlds in Magic Story just because we think people will enjoy it. It also means we can work closer with creative writers to choose and shape these stories without the constraints of what the card set is doing at the moment.

Add in a pair of novels from Greg Weisman bringing the Bolas/Gatewatch battle to its thrilling conclusion and a comic following Chandra written by Vita Ayala with art by Harvey Tolibao starting in November, and you start to get a picture of how Magic fiction is shaping up. Oh, and Weisman will also be writing the web fiction for the end of the Bolas arc in addition to the two novels he's crafting. Because we think he's great and hope you will too.

How do we keep everything straight? The Franchise team keeps a steady hand on the wheel, broadly offering story beats and frameworks for creative people to create. We've also started a partnership with Jay Annelli—a fan who just so happens to know Magic story inside and out—to help keep an eye on continuity. Jay knows his stuff and loves Magic story. It's always helpful to bring in more people who know the terrain.

There's more to come as well. Magic has dozens and dozens of worlds to explore, and our goal is to set up frameworks from which creative people can paint larger swaths of those worlds for your enjoyment.

We look forward to showing you around.

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:57 pm 

Identity: Goblin Piker
I thought this story was fine, and its nice to get the "little guy" perspective on Ravnica, which is the plane that really needed it the most.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:00 am 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Testing the Dark Waters

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:26 pm 

I really liked this one a lot. Especially the last paragraph or so.

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:42 pm 

So far we are two for two on stories that involve the Dimir.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:08 am 

I think both of these stories do stand out immensely and I recommend them, but there's something awkward about them I can't quite put a finger on.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:55 am 

Boros story is out, and I predictably like it better.

- First non-human protagonist in these vignettes

- Negaverse Feather/Chloé Bourgeois' Boros soul sister

- Corruption within the Boros

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 pm 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Clans and Legions
Quote:
A newly promoted Wojek stumbles upon a massive conspiracy.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:07 pm 

I'm bummed there hasn't been any story the past week or two. I really enjoyed these past three personally.

Helios, you think the "can't put your finger on" thing is the first person perspective?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him
Jman22 wrote:
I'm bummed there hasn't been any story the past week or two. I really enjoyed these past three personally.

Helios, you think the "can't put your finger on" thing is the first person perspective?

They just took last week off for some reason. There will be a new story this Wednesday. The story widget at mtgstory.com has dates listed for all the upcoming stories.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:59 am 

Yeah, I was briefly worried that I had forgotten to post up a link to last weeks story, but then I looked and realized that, while I had forgotten, Wizards didn't post a story anyway so it all worked out.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:15 pm 

Today's UR (Magic Story): Death's Precious Moments

It's the Golgari Guild's turn in the spotlight.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:16 pm 

Excellent.

- So turns out Vraska and Mazirek aren't much better for the kraul than Jarad was. Shame.

- They're really investing on making the Devkarin hateful aren't they?

- That matriphagy-actually-being-wasp-behaviour twist was really funny and disturbing at the same time.

- Boros still being corrupt.

My Patreon:

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:22 pm 

I think Vraska is better for the Kraul, but a lot of the upper hierarchy is still Devkarin elves who seem to be racist af

The whole "our mother wasn't our mother" thing really threw me off and I had to read it like three times to get it.

I didn't like this one as much as the others, maybe because the race just made me think of Dragon's Maze too much. Probably because of that.

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5703 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 282, 283, 284, 285, 286  Next