It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Shaz's Command
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:47 am 

Allow its controller to discard a card.
Allow its controller to sacrifice a permanent.

Unyielding Watchmen -
Creature - Human Soldier
Vigilance
, Discard a card: You gain hexproof until end of turn.
, Sacrifice a creature: Prevent the next 3 damage that would be dealt to you this turn. Activate this ability only if you have 5 or less life.
1/4

Innistrad-y

While the first one fits to the criteria more strictly of 'allowing' its controller to sacrifice and discard, I like this second idea better.

Underworld Rebirth -
Sorcery
Multikicker - Discard a card.
Sacrifice a creature. Then, return a creature card with converted mana cost equal to the sacrificed creature's converted mana cost plus one from your graveyard to the battlefield.
Repeat this process for each time ~ was kicked.

Last edited by Confused on Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:12 pm 

Give to the Night -
Sorcery | U
As an additional cost to cast Give to the Night, you may pay 4 life.
Each player sacrifices a creature.
If you lost life this turn, draw two cards.
"Through the cruel, dark indifference—I pledge myself to the night." - Griev, Nightscout Initiate.

QQ: Does my card above qualify for the "sacrifice one or more permanents" clause?
The wording was a bit unclear - does it need to specify "permanents" not just creatures? does it need to sacrifice more than one, or can it only sacrifice one?

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:27 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Black Plague Epitaph-
Enchantment-Saga
(As this Saga enters and after your draw step, add a lore counter. Sacrifice after IV.)
I: Each player loses 1 life.
II: Each player discards a card.
III: Each player sacrifices a creature.
IV: Each player sacrifices a land.

note: despite all printed Sagas having exactly three chapters, the rules explicitly allow for other lengths. here's the relevant section:

714.4. If the number of lore counters on a Saga permanent is greater than or equal to its final chapter number, and it isn’t the source of a chapter ability that has triggered but not yet left the stack, that Saga’s controller sacrifices it. This state-based action doesn’t use the stack.

also note: smallpox.

also also note: the "as this saga enters and..." wording, despite being horrific, is the standard reminder text for sagas. see History of Benalia.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:27 pm 

Idea, but can't think of a name:

(okay, got a rough name)

Lifecursed Undead |
Creature - Zombie
Whenever Lifecursed Undead deals damage, each opponent gains that much life and you lose that much life.
Sacrifice Lifecursed Undead: Whenever a player gains life this turn, that player loses that much life instead.
[3/1]

Last edited by Yarium on Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:08 am 

Identity: Unqualified
Chittering of Pests
Artifact Creature - Insect
When Chittering of Pests enters the battlefield, if you have 10 or less life, target player puts the top ten cards of their library into their graveyard.
"Let it be known that no situation has ever become more comfortable with the arrival of bugs."
4/4

Struggled with the amount of card milled, still unsure of it tbh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:17 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
Phyrexian Decimator
Artifact Creature — Horror
Indestructible
When Phyrexian Decimator enters the battlefield, you get an emblem with "At the beginning of your upkeep, you get a poison counter, lose 2 life, and exile the top six cards of your library."
10/10

One eye closed to gaze at the goddess within.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:18 am 

Few responses to the card comments.
Shaz wrote:
Spoiler

Thanks for the comments! Yes, the card was purposefully a little strong. I think the main thing for Charms is that they need to really amazingly capture the feel of what you're going for. I can clearly recall the Alara Charms and the Return to Ravnica charms, but can't really put my finger on the Khans charms. Single-mana charms that are linked to a tribe would be memorable, so long as the tribes are also memorable. Without knowing the rest of the set, I couldn't say for certain if this would be a memorable charm or not. The second ability on Grifter's Charm is meant to be like a swindle, in that, yes, you're giving up something, but your opponent is likely giving up more, so even though you made a deal, it's an uneven one (hopefully). The final ability is, importantly, ANY target! While you might use the Peel from Reality part to delay an opponent's thing or saving your own, if you're just saving your own you would rather use the Hexproof one. However, if they "caught you in the act", you can target yourself to give yourself Hexproof too for the turn. Indeed, you could theoretically give another player or any of their permanents hexproof. Heck, you could give a spell hexproof!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:35 am 

Yarium wrote:
Heck, you could give a spell hexproof!
"Any target" means a planeswalker, player, or creature.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:40 am 

Shaz wrote:
Yarium wrote:

Dang. Oh well. Silly wording not meaning the words. Still, quite generically useful ;)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:20 am 

Test User (1)
Plague Cascade
Sorcery (R)
Sacrifice any number of creatures, discard any number of cards, then each other player does the same.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:48 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Shaz wrote:
Yarium wrote:

this is one of the worst decisions WotC has ever made

The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:51 pm 

razorborne wrote:

Look, there's no other types of thing you can target

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:38 pm 

Test User (1)
razorborne wrote:
Shaz wrote:
Yarium wrote:

care to elaborate?

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

theatog wrote:
care to elaborate?

according to the current rules, if a spell can affect "any target", it can actually affect only a very small subset of potential targets.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:52 pm 

I personally don't see the problem. It's not like new players try to attack lands, or throw lightning bolts at auras.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:32 pm 

YingLung wrote:
I personally don't see the problem. It's not like new players try to attack lands, or throw lightning bolts at auras.
Future Design.

Soulslaver
:10:
Legendary Artifact
:10:, :t:, Sacrifice Soulslaver: Gain control of any target. If you gain control of a player this way, only gain control of that player until your next turn.
Like a Mindslaver, but more absolute

As-written functionality: can Mindslaver, or perma-steal a creature or planeswalker.
Potential intended functionality: can Mindslaver, Perma-steal any permanent, or hijack a spell or ability (though it doesn't let you retarget this is still nice on a Heroes Remembered or other big "Something good happens for 'you'" effect.)

Other potential questions

"I have a Demonic Pact, Arc Blade, Karplusan Minotaur or other "any target" damage that fires on my upkeep. I also have Verdant Touch in my hand. Can I pre-damage lands so they'll have lethal marked on them and die when I animate them on my main phase with Touch?" Similar questions with other permanents and intent to drop animation effects

"My opponent controls a True Believer with Diplomatic Immunity and a mess of land. Can I cast Zap targeting a land or other useless target just to draw the card, or would I have to burn myself/one of my useful things?"

"My opponent has a Hypnotic Siren bestowed on my creature? Can I use Lightning Bolt to kill the siren, even though it's not currently a creature? It has stats printed on it." -- similar question with Inactive Vehicles.

We all know the answers to these questions, because the change was recent and I think we're largely a group of experienced players here. But it's not hard to foresee trouble down the line. It's sort of like I wish they still printed text on basic lands as in Urza's Saga and earlier... it seems really obvious to me that
  • You have to tap lands to add mana, they don't just provide you a 'shelf' to cast as much as you want up to your land capacity
  • Lands are not sacrificed to be mana, you can reuse them each turn
  • Llanowar Elves doesn't tutor a forest to the battlefield when you tap it
  • Llanowar elves doesn't make a forest token either.
Yet these are ALL mistakes I've seen from new players. "Big symbol" lands rather than lands with rules text seem to make one of the most basic concepts of M:tG -- Basic Lands -- one of the hardest to teach because the game piece is not intuitive for a non-player attempting to get into the game. I worry that "Any Target" is going to do the same thing for targeting. Sure, 99% of the time you want to target one of the sane targets, but if anything that might make the remaining 1% of the time worse because you've played a particular way for a while and have become set in your opinions even if they haven't come up in-game.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:56 pm 

Fair enough. Reminds me of how I didn't understand how giving something shroud made it so my spell was countered, rather than choosing another target.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:14 pm 

Test User (1)
Good read Tevish. Thanks.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:15 pm 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

there's also corner cases where the difference between "any target" and "target creature, player, or planeswalker" matters, even with damage. the first one I could find is trying to kill an unanimated hidden gibbons with a metalcrafted galvanic blast, which should work based on the literal words the cards say (especially because Blast later mentions "that permanent or player", a description that Gibbons fits) but doesn't because words don't mean anything.

Last edited by razorborne on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:44 am 

• Your card must allow its controller to lose life.
• Your card must allow its controller to move one or more cards from their library into a zone other than the hand.

Sacrilegious Sanguimancy
Enchantment
Pay any amount of life: Reveal the top card of your library. If the converted mana cost of the revealed card is less than the amount of life you paid, you may cast it without paying its mana cost. Use this ability as a sorcery, and only once per turn. (Lands cannot be cast.)

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is "never get involved in an thread with GM_Champion" - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go in against AzureShade when card design is on the line!"

Like this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next