It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Historic technology
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 5:48 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Entrap
Sorcery (C)
Destroy target evasive creature. (A creature is evasive if it has an ability that prohibits one or more creatures from blocking it.)

Disdainful Dismisal
Instant (U)
Counter target expensive spell. (Expensive spells have a converted mana cost of 4 or greater.)
Draw a card.

Slippery Squid
Creature - Squid Thief (R)
Hexproof
When Slippery Squid enters the battlefield, choose target creature. Move all of that creature's connections to Slippery Squid. (Auras, equipment, and counters are connections.)
2/3

Song of Unity
Instant (R)
Untap each earthly permanent you control. (Earthly permanents have mana abilities.)

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Historic technology
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:04 am 

evasive isn't really similar to historic and raises some questions. Is a creature with flying evasive if there aren't any other creatures on the board?

I could see expensive being used well in a specific block.

Connections is kind of awkward because it feels like it wants to be evergreen but i think that this sort of wording technology is better for set mechanics.

I think that wizards probably doesn't want to put the phrase "mana abilities" on a card, and I can't see this being too useful to use.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:19 am 

I like entrap because evasive is a thing (there are abilities that are defined as evasion abilities), so it works. I kind of like making expensive a thing too, and wizards seems make cmc 4+ that space. I don't like the others.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 6:25 am 

yeah i was going to say evasive makes more sense with the reminder text "has any of x abilities" although that's pretty wordy i would imagine

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 pm 

Identity: Male
"earthly" seems like the weakest terminology. The term evokes lands, and say, LLanowar Elves but not most mana rocks.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:14 pm 
YMtC Champ '12

Ragnarokio wrote:
evasive isn't really similar to historic

It's similar enough. The general idea of grouping things together is all I was after.

Ragnarokio wrote:
Is a creature with flying evasive if there aren't any other creatures on the board?

Sure. Flying is defined as "can't be blocked by creatures without flying." That ability defines a blocking restriction. I get what you mean, though. There's a desire for a perfect reminder text and I'm not sure what it is. Maybe "prohibits what creatures can block it."

Ragnarokio wrote:
Connections is kind of awkward because it feels like it wants to be evergreen but i think that this sort of wording technology is better for set mechanics.

It's more awkward to me that counters and attachments work so differently, so you can't really do a ton with this option without bastardizing the language.

Ragnarokio wrote:
I think that wizards probably doesn't want to put the phrase "mana abilities" on a card, and I can't see this being too useful to use.

I'm not making cards for them, but regardless, they've used the terminology as recently as the last few sets, in keywords and otherwise.

TPmanW wrote:
"earthly" seems like the weakest terminology. The term evokes lands, and say, LLanowar Elves but not most mana rocks.

Ya, I spent a minute on the terminology. Didn't wanna sit on it forever. Any suggestions are welcome.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:27 am 

So Thundersong Trumpeter is evasive, right?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 12:34 am 

orphanmaster - bu
creature - human
creatures you control with 1 or less power are unblockable.
2/2

is this creature evasive? if its power is reduced does it become evasive?

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:27 am 

There's no real batching going on with earthly or expensive, they only refer to a single kind of thing. Evasive isn't well defined. The squid is good though

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am 
YMtC Champ '12

Might as well just batch together all the evergreen evasion abilities. All two of them.

Like this post

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
Might as well just batch together all the evergreen evasion abilities. All two of them.

I think an important part of Historic, though, is that it includes a thing that isn't evergreen, which means there's a clear reason why it doesn't show up in every set.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 11:55 am 
YMtC Champ '12

razorborne wrote:

I think an important part of Historic, though, is that it includes a thing that isn't evergreen, which means there's a clear reason why it doesn't show up in every set.

:duel:

Oh yeah! Good point. That's a nugget worth saving.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:28 pm 
YMtC Idol Winner

Ragnarokio wrote:
orphanmaster - bu
creature - human
creatures you control with 1 or less power are unblockable.
2/2

is this creature evasive? if its power is reduced does it become evasive?

This is basically Tetsuko Umezawa, Fugitive.

Q's Links
Pro Tour YMTC 5 Archive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:26 pm 

except i think tetsuko would be unamibguously evasive

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:01 pm 

I think batching things together should be a bit more obvious.

War Commander -
Creature - Human Advisor | R
Vigilance
Militant creatures you control get +1/+1. (Soliders, Warriors, and Knights are militant.)
My days on the battlefield are over. Now I lead the bravest contingent this side of Cireama.
2/2

Though maybe this batch is all too similar and should just be spelled out. What made historic unique is the combination were all of different sorts.

Like this post

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:57 pm 

Next batch:

Conductor of Static -
Creature - Human Artificer | U
Whenever you cast an electric spell, you may have Conductor of Static deals 1 damage to each creature. (Instants, creatures with haste, and permanents with flash are electric.)
1/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:27 am 

Identity: Male
BelangiaJo wrote:

War Commander -
Creature - Human Advisor | R
Vigilance
Militant creatures you control get +1/+1. (Soliders, Warriors, and Knights are militant.)
My days on the battlefield are over. Now I lead the bravest contingent this side of Cireama.
2/2

Though maybe this batch is all too similar and should just be spelled out. What made historic unique is the combination were all of different sorts.

I do like these pantribal type designs. The only problem is knowing where to draw the line.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 4:50 am 
YMtC Champ '12

BelangiaJo wrote:

Stroll Through the Woods
Sorcery (U)
Look at the top five cards of your library. You may a reveal a tree-like card from them and put it in your hand. Put the rest on the bottom of your library. (Forests, treefolk, and plants are tree-like.)

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:54 am 

That'd be a nice upgrade for Dauntless Dourbark

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:51 am 

The more I see it, the more I don't like over-use of the historic terminology. "Forests, treefolk, and plants are tree-like" is really vague. Lots of newer players would start getting confused as to whether something like Fruit of the First Tree is tree-like or not. Tree is right in the name, it's very much like a plant too. What about Hollow Trees or the Tree of Tales? No. Historic works because the things it references are either very rare (Sagas), or because it's referencing something that only ever appears in proper context (Legendary or Artifact). "Electric" creatures sounds like we're playing Pokemon. Does something become electric if it gains haste? Why isn't Electric Eel electric, or Lightning Coils? At least Militant creatures works, because Soldiers, Warriors, and Knights are used pretty interchangeably , but what about Archers, Scouts, Fortifications, and Samurai? Why aren't they Militant? That's still not counting confusingly-named cards, like Soldier of Fortune (which is a Human Mercenary).

In short, over-use of this terminology, especially with things that appear in numerous other instances or at odd times, will spiral complexity and make things a real pain for new players.

Like this post