Card of the Year 2017!
Poll ended at Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am
Murder House 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
Beast Tracker 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 24
Total voters : 24
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:00 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
It all comes down to this! Vote for the card you think should be Card of the Year. The winner shall be crowned! If there's a tie, I'll break it.

The Contenders

BelangiaJo wrote:
Murder House -
Enchantment | U
Whenever you sacrifice a creature, investigate.
A silent criminal walks among us.

Libe wrote:
Beast Tracker

Creature -- Human Warrior (R)
At the beginning of your end step, reveal the top card of your library. If it's a creature card, put it onto the battlefield and Beast Tracker fights that creature.
The thrill of the hunt is nothing compared to the excitement of the capture.
3/3

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:49 am 

Identity: Male
Both of these have a lot going for them. Murder House has Spike appeal, but Timmy gives Beast Tracker an edge. Both are close contenders for the Johnny and flavour votes.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:34 am 

I dinged Murder House because it is clever to the point where it needs very particular environment. I felt like the card was more about the cleverness of the flavor and mechanic, whereas Beast Tracker is clever but also has some realism.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 pm 

Yeah, these are both great cards, but I'm siding with Beast Tracker. I feel like Murder House is off-colour. Actually, thinking further on it, Murder House should've been a colorless Artifact. Beast Tracker, meanwhile, just gets my Johnny side tingling. Works best with 2/(X>3) creatures, obviously, but can jump-start you into a big creature if you hit it big, or can kill off small creatures with EtB or LtB effects (doesn't work with instant-speed abilities though, as it's put onto the battlefield and fought immediately during effect resolution). I just feel it's a bit more clever, while still being on-colour.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:24 pm 

How is Murder House off color? Black likes sacrificing stuff and is allowed to draw cards. Investigate didn't happen to be black in the one set where it's appeared but there's no gameplay reason it couldn't have.

I don't like Beast Hunter because the best payoff is a four mana Iona, Emrakul, etc. and that's not too interesting or fresh.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:51 pm 

Yeah I haven't been voting for beast tracker. Mechanically the drawback doesn't feel appropriate - if you just want it to be one shot why not make it one shot? In practice no one is going to use this with small creatures if they're just gonna die (and even if not, you're not getting the full value out of a piper if you're not playing huge things). Flavorfully, creatures in the same deck are on the same side. I don't need someone to capture a creature that I could summon. Only red creatures (accidentally) and black creatures (cause they don't care) should hurt guys on their own side.

In general I think this has been a quiet year for ymtc

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:10 pm 

Yarium wrote:
Yeah, these are both great cards, but I'm siding with Beast Tracker. I feel like Murder House is off-colour. Actually, thinking further on it, Murder House should've been a colorless Artifact. Beast Tracker, meanwhile, just gets my Johnny side tingling. Works best with 2/(X>3) creatures, obviously, but can jump-start you into a big creature if you hit it big, or can kill off small creatures with EtB or LtB effects (doesn't work with instant-speed abilities though, as it's put onto the battlefield and fought immediately during effect resolution). I just feel it's a bit more clever, while still being on-colour.

Conversely, murder house is more interesting to my johnny nature. Tracker is too random for me. I also like the crisp simplicity of house. As for off color, sacrifice to gain is very much black.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:43 pm 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
I voted for beast tracked because I feel like murder house is trying to sell me on some sort of flavor and failing at it, which the other one isn't, and it has some mechanical novelty that murder house doesn't. Pretty sure I complained about murder house when it was first nominated.

Ideally, I would have liked to see mata hari's card win out of the top 8.

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:06 pm 

Murder house is subtle: it cares about creatures being sacrificed rather than destroyed, implying that you're investigating a killer within your own ranks. There is a similarity between the finalists both being flavoured around in-fighting. But yeah I didn't vote murder house in the quarter finals, I also liked Mata's card and Forgery and Astral alignment.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:43 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/his/his/himself
IMHO, tracker is a better card - flavorfully, mechanically, and as a build-around piece.
You can do so much with him ! Giving him -x/+x, Lifelink, Indestructible, etc... Putting in cantrip creatures, walls, and cantrip wall creatures. Eternal Witness - like creatures. Asketicism. Topdeck manipulation. Reclaim effects. Death trigger creatures.

However, Murder House + March of the Machines + anthem (eg. Tempered Steel) is so awesome :V !!

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:57 pm 

Shaz wrote:
How is Murder House off color? Black likes sacrificing stuff and is allowed to draw cards. Investigate didn't happen to be black in the one set where it's appeared but there's no gameplay reason it couldn't have.

I don't like Beast Hunter because the best payoff is a four mana Iona, Emrakul, etc. and that's not too interesting or fresh.

I'm enjoying this year a lot because these cards are so close that we get to split hairs and be happy doing so! :D

For me, it feels white. The creature, by dying, is helping everyone else out a little bit more. It also needs a lot of help in that you need to have lots of creatures to sacrifice, and something else to do the sacrificing. That group-working-together vibe that's necessary for this card to really work, to me, feels white. However, even then, it doesn't feel quite correct, and as such, it's such a neutral effect, that I think an Artifact (colorless) would've been the right spot for it.

I don't think Beast Hunter's scary-case happens too often. This would mostly be an interaction you'd see in Cube or Legacy, where such effects that allow you to control the top card of your library are more commons. In Modern, Standard, and Limited play, such a scenario would be unlikely with Beast Hunter. Your fail case with the hunter is also VERY real, in that even if you do get something, it might not be what you want. Worst case, you find something with power 3 or greater and toughness 3 or lower, and the card is now card disadvantage. More of a Limited problem, but a real one to consider. I like it :)

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:49 pm 

Identity: Male
Murder House is a great example of the conundrum- Black and white flavour is often just a perspective flip away. Are those creatures nobly sacrificing themselves for their master (the player)'s benefit, or is their master cruelly harvesting them like grain for those juicy clue tokens? The answer differs with your interpretation of the game's mechanics, your playstyle and the flavour of the other cards in your deck.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:52 pm 

Mown wrote:
Ideally, I would have liked to see mata hari's card win out of the top 8.

same

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm 

Is Grim Haruspex a white card too? I think it wouldn't work. This card is very similar.

Last edited by Shaz on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm 

For ones that care specifically about sacrificing there's Mortician Beetle and Smothering Abomination. There's also Dragon Appeasement - sacrifice matters doesn't have to just be in one color.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:46 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/they
Voted for Murder House! I think I'm in the camp of "the Murder House ability is mechanically black, and no other color really comes close." Sure, white creatures sacrifice themselves, a la Children of Korlis, but I think it's well outside of White's pie to create a card that encourages sacrifice. @Flopfoot: Dragon Appeasement is one of the most mono-black cards I've ever seen, mechanically, and I'd bet that it's only multicolor because every card in Alara Reborn was multicolor as a gimmick.

Like this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm 

I just voted Murder House because I’m always a ho for sacrifice

Like this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:28 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
This is close! 12 to 11 as of the time of this posting. Get your votes in now! You have through the weekend.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:00 pm 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
4 hours left to vote!

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:04 pm 

Congrats to both competitors for making this so close!

Like this post