It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ultimatum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:57 am 

Preferred Pronoun Set:
I came up with a mechanic in the game thread that I'm quite proud of. Thought I'd make a cycle:

Quake of Hooves
Sorcery
Ultimatum—Creatures you control get +3/+3 and gain trample until end of turn. If you cast Quake of Hooves as an ultimatum, they get an additional +2/+2 and gain haste until end of turn. (You may cast this spell as an ultimatum. If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)

Akroma's Might
Enchantment (R)
Creatures you control get +1/+1.
Make an ultimatum: Creatures you control gain flying, first strike, vigilance, trample, haste, and protection from black and from red until end of turn. (When you make an ultimatum, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)

Epitaph
Instant (R)
You may cast Epitaph without paying its mana cost if you make an ultimatum. (When you make an ultimatum, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)
Counter target spell.

Phyrexian Graveyard
Land (M)
Phyrexian Graveyard enters the battlefield tapped.
: Add to your mana pool. You lose 1 life.
, Make an ultimatum: Draw seven cards. (When you make an ultimatum, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)

Worldshaker
Creature — Elemental Beast (R)
Ultimatum (You may make an ultimatum as you cast this spell. If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)
Trample
When Worldshaker enters the battlefield, if you made an ultimatum this turn, it gains haste.
10/2

Planeshape
Sorcery (R)
Ultimatum (You may make an ultimatum as you cast this spell. If you do, you lose the game at the beginning of the next end step.)
Search your library for a land card and put it on the battlefield. If you made an ultimatum this turn, search your library for any number of land cards with different names and put them onto the battlefield instead. Then shuffle your library.

Like this post

Post subject: Re: Ultimatum
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am 
YMtC Champ '11
YMtC Pro Tour Champion
YMtC Idol Winner

Preferred Pronoun Set: he/him/my/mine/himself
ye let's put draw 7 on a land with no mana cost, what's the worst that could happen
While I think "push the limit for a drawback later" can be cool mechanically, it often just results in "play this in combo decks that win the game this turn", where you really only use it when you're going to win, making the decision a whole less interesting. Ultimatum, and your cards in particular, is really emblematic of this. Planescape and Phyrexian Graveyard gets you some absurd effects that in all likelihood let you ignore the drawback, because the benefit you got was so absurd. And then you have free counterspell backup as well because of Epitath (and with APNAP, your opponent loses first if he decides to ultimatum you back.)

you're like the kind of person who would cast Necropotence irl

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:06 am 

Yeah either you win instantly or your opponent has some kind of disruption and you lose instantly

great

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:21 pm 

Identity: Male
I like "make an ultimatum:" as something on permanents. Then you can assemble a bunch and have them go off together. Individually they'd only be worth it when you were closing in on the end. Together they could turn things around.
The wording could use reworking though. People won't grok that you need to make an individual ultimatum for each. Something like, "If you've declared your ultimatum [effect]" (You may declare (issue?) an ultimatum at any time. When you declare your ultimatum, you lose a the beginning of your next end step)
Maybe have spells that care about ultimatums, but leave them for a 2nd set.
This would work in a diplomacy-based set, or anything with lots of boardstalls. I'm thinking WWI set.

*"To YMTC it up" means to design cards that have value mostly from a design perspective. i.e. you would put them in a case under glass in your living room and visitors could remark upon the wonderful design principles, with nobody ever worring if the cards are annoying/pointless/confusing in actual play

TPrizesW
TPortfolioW

Like this post

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:27 am 
YMtC Champ '14
YMTC Pro Tour Champion

Preferred Pronoun Set: they
yeah, I think TP's probably right about the ideal use here: lots of smaller but undercosted effects that add up to something big if you can put them together on the same turn. as is, these are all really scary things in their own right, which as Mown points out all basically say "win the game this turn". forcing you to put ultimatums together in order to really get value out of them is, I think, more interesting from a play perspective because it lets you utilize the effect as a resource.

:duel:

Pro Tour: YMTC: SECOND ONE IS OVER STAY TUNED FOR THIRD ONE
The BLOCK I'm currently pretending I'll finish: Fleets Of Ossia (complete!) | Wavebreak (complete!) | The Second Flood (in progress!)
Razorborne and friends teach music theory to chumps like you: 12tone

Like this post