It is currently Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Chopped
PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:52 pm 

Kamigawa, Mundane, Counting, Enemy Multicolor

Traveling Gyosha

Creature - Human
Extort
Threshold - Traveling Gyosha has two more instances of Extort as long as there are seven or more cards in your graveyard.
"While Eiganjo drifted increasingly out of touch with its citizens, the merchant class thrived. Profiteers great and small took advantage of every misery, reaping the rewards of the spiral of conflict." - The History of Kamigawa
1/1

Aura, Related to Legend

Seleni's Tender Care
:2::b::b:
Enchantment - Aura
Enchant creature card in a graveyard.
At the beginning of enchanted card's owner's upkeep, that player sacrifices a creature. Then, if they control no creatures, they put the enchanted creature card onto the battlefield.

Art Matters (Silver border, lol), Time Travel, Gains Control (and also Enemy Multicolor)

Legendary Paradox
:3::r::u:
Sorcery
Gain control of target legendary creature or planeswalker you don't control. Search its owner's library for any number of cards with that character in their art and cast them without paying their mana costs.
Fiko was torn -- his clockworking experiments had, in fact, caused Chandra Nalaar to notice him like he'd hoped. On the other hand, there were now several dozen of her.

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:20 am 

YingLung wrote:
* Art matters (mechanics based on card illustrations)

Am I to assume you want an un-set card? Wizards would never print such a card otherwise.

Last edited by Yarium on Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am 

Un cards are fine for the art matters criterion.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:08 am 

Extensive Collection |
Enchantment - Aura | {MR}
Enchant reprint in your collection.
Cards with the same name as enchanted reprint gain all card properties of each other card in your Magic(TM) collection with the same name, but different art. (This includes, artword, expansion symbols, unmodified ability text, flavor text, etc.)
"Of course, I get the twenty-fourth black because of my favourite version by Rebecca Guay..."

Card Notes: Art matters, is an aura, counts something, mundane as possible (uh-oh, one of those people with a huge collection they're dying to show off with). Starting with the Un-Card here. The joke of this card is that there exists players that have these huge collections of cards, with some people having every version of their favourite cards, which most frequently is shown through the different art. The extra joke is that this person loves their Rebecca Guay version of Dark Ritual.

Possessive Shade |
Creature - Shade | {R}
: Possessive Soul gets +1/+1 until end of turn.
, exile Possessive Shade: Gain control of target creature with lesser power than Possessive Shade.
In a place where dreams become real, what walks into a shadow may not be the same as what walks out.
[2/2]

Notes: Gains control of a creature, related to the Angel-Shade legendary creature. Shades are pretty awesome in Magic already; they look un-assuming, but can smash for a ton. Along with threat-of-activation, they can give a lot of control over combat. However, they are also very weak at the same time, being easily taken out by enchantment-based removal (like Dead Weight), because they can't stay at a large size all game, and they drain your resources for growing big. They also don't scale very well in that having two or more shades on your side of the battlefield is extremely mana-intensive to use. So, I've used the Shade's growing ability to fuel a Mind Control-type ability. Possessive Shade is quite strong on its own, but retains an ability to trade-in for an opponent's creature. It starts at 2 power so that you can have a 6-mana Mind Control against critical power 1 or less creatures, though if you live a turn you should be able to grab a power 2 or less creature pretty quickly. It'd be a rare game where this can grab power 3 or 4 creatures without extra help from other sources. Being able to gain control at instant speed means this also gets value against removal as well if you're mostly untapped on mana.

Toshiro, Thief of Yesterdays |
Legendary Creature - Human Ninja | {R}
Ninjitsu - , Skip your next turn.
When Toshiro, Thief of Yesterdays deals combat damage to a player, take an extra turn after this one.
You cannot attack with Toshiro, Thief of Yesterdays during extra turns.
To save his son, Toshiro would steal Bolas' victory from the Kami of time itself.
[3/2]

Card Notes: Kamigawa flavor and mechanics, and dealing with time travel and the repercussions there-of. There's a lot of setup here, but if you can get past it, you can take a lot of extra turns. Very dangerous to attempt though, and you're paying a turn to get the effect, hence the red cost. Of course, if you pay the turn, then get an extra turn, they'll cancel out too. The main risk play-wise is that a single kill-spell forces you to lose a turn. High risk, high reward.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:07 pm 

So, I have the grades ready, if neither of you has any intention of editing your cards in the next 24 hours.

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:06 pm 

Go ahead; at most I would add explanation (for instance, that "Gyosha" was the best term I could find for just a merchant or peddler).

The Coalition/Phyrexian War Game Rises Again

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:07 pm 

I kind of wanted to, but I'm too tired, so grade away!

Like this post

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:00 pm 

Grades:

Tevish Szat

Yarium

This has been a fun contest to grade, with a lot of well-designed cards. Congratulations to Yarium for winning the round, and...
[dramatic music]
[camera zooms in on Tevish Szat's face, then Yarium's, then pans over the the six cards laid out on an oak countertop]
\
.\
..\
...\
.../
../
./
/
[A montage of their previous cards passes by]
\
.\
..\
...\
.../
../
...\
.....\
.......\
.........\
........./
......./
..../
../
./
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Spoiler

Congratulations to Tevish Szat, the new Chopped Champion!

=========================================================================

I'd like to thank you all for playing, and would welcome any feedback regarding the contest, considering I will be starting season 2 soon.

Like this post

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:51 am 

Congrats Tevish! You had a bunch of great design, and won the long game. I was hoping you might trip and fall at the end, but I saw your designs and knew it'd be hard to top them enough to try and clutch a victory in the final round.

EDIT:
I liked the format. Having lots of different kinds of "ingredients" we had to use, but limited space to use it in, was a challenge. The last round especially was difficult, though I found the first "design three" round was a bit too easy. I'd start with the design three and go from there. I'm obviously biased on the scoring system, because I didn't win the contest despite winning the final round, so I don't think I can be objective enough to properly provide direction on the scoring metrics. Also, I don't watch Chopped!, which is the inspiration for the contest. I've always found it more fun to find a way to stick to the inspiration's system, rather than re-design it into something else. It provides a fun real-life mirror, which helps make the contest more fun.

I don't mind the speed, but I think fast-paced is great if you, the judge, can keep up with it. 24hrs is a bit much, as it's easy to miss a deadline if you have a hectic day, but 48hrs should suffice. There'll always be drop-outs and missed chances, so don't worry too much past that.

Like this post